Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Petrol tank sender

Post by MKT »

Fitted a new petrol tank sender unit from ESM as the old one was not working, filled up today and got a strong smell of petrol, checked the sender and petrol was sitting in the dish on the top, it can't be leaking from the gasket as this would run over the tank, the only things on the top are the fixing screws and the wire connector, I am a bit reluctant to remove it as it is now working well, as this is my first minor am I missing something or could it be just a faulty unit, also is there a sealant that is ok to use with petrol , any help would be appreciated

Ron
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Petrol tank sender

Post by les »

If the dish on top of the tank has petrol in it, surely when it was full it would eventually spill down the tank. You will have to remove it anyway to inspect. Check the gasket and if you wish put a little sealant on the screws before inserting them. If the sender and tank are not distorted there isn't much else it can be.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I second that, the petrol can work its way up the screws and others have used a flange sealant (Loctite - details in the link) to prevent this. The gasket can get soaked as well. My original one was a paper gasket bur cork are now available I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66893&p=608058&hil ... et#p608058
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Just a thought - I had this same problem a while back after fitting my sender unit to a new tank. Simply tightening the screws fixed it (and I had to do this on two seperate occasions before a permanent cure was effected!) However, it may have been the gasket seal rather than the screws so you may require sealant on them, as others have advised.....
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks for all the replies, topped the petrol tank up again to day and I could see it leaking from the cork gasket, I removed the sender unit and found the cork gasket had disintegrated, bit reluctant to buy new one from same supplier

Ron
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a gasket in Viton not cork.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/gasket-set ... soc=591154

Unfortunately out of stock at the moment but you may be able to source at another supplier.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Here is a supplier if you wish to make your own gasket.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VITON-RUBBER- ... 0729783336
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks I will order some, need to find best thickness

Ron
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you don't want to make it, (I made mine from gasket paper) and Mosss can't help AND you aren't in a hurry, see links below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Viton-Mater ... 2327283991
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

If you can't source one, I can make one for you in Viton-see photo below of my MG TD DIY fuel sensor prototype. Ensure that you use thin nylon washers under the screws and apply sealant to the threads.

Peter Edney also sells such a seal and I have it on my MG TD at present. It has the same PCD as the Minor and is identical to the seal from USA mentioned by Firedrake.
http://www.mg-parts.co.uk/index.php?rou ... _10_68_162
Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Regards
Declan
Attachments
Fuel_sensor_TD_4.jpg
Fuel_sensor_TD_4.jpg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

Regards
Declan
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thank you Declan I have contacted the company but they are closed at the moment, they are away racing
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Just a quick update, finally received the seal from Peter Edney recommend by Declan, not cheap 50p for the cork, and £10 for the viton rubber fitted today and filled the tank as far as I could and no leaks so worth the money to me

Thanks for all the help Ron
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Glad to hear it worked Ron!
For those who want to make this seal themselves, here is a drawing. The cover plate also applies to pre Oct '64 Minors cars as far as I know, and is extremely difficult to seal correctly. This cover plate is a major problem on MG T series tanks where the sender (actually a float switch) is situated close to the bottom of the tank and the actual switch is full of fuel topped by the pressure head of fuel within the tank forcing fuel out under the notorious cover plate. Ask me how I know-it is the devil's own invention!

Regards
Declan
Attachments
TD_Tank_sender_flange_gasket.jpg
TD_Tank_sender_flange_gasket.jpg (445.85 KiB) Viewed 4055 times

Regards
Declan
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Declan
I never cease to be amazed by your industriousness, attention to detail and willingness to share.

Thank you.

Don
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Unfortunately I smelt petrol in the garage today, petrol was leaking onto the floor from the boot, checked the sender and found the Vieton rubber gasket hanging out from the joint and the boot full of petrol, I will contact the company who sold it to me tomorrow but not sure what to do next

Ron
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I must say I've never had any trouble with the cork gaskets. I've just used a slight wipe of hylomar on each side and on the screw threads and have never had any leak or fuel smell.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

MKT,
There is something seriously wrong! If the seal was installed correctly it cannot "hang" out from the joint. I suspect you did not tighten the screws correctly or you have used the wrong screws. I am not sure on the Minor but I know that in the MG world there were wrong screws in circulation which did not tighten fully-been there and bought the T-shirt. They should have been 3BA but weren't. Another pitfall is to use silicone as a sealant-guaranteed to last a half an hour.
I am not sure if Peter Edney's seal is made of Viton and if you call him he will probably refer to wrong installation.
Can we see a photo ??
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

first pictures I have posted hope they come out alright
Attachments
seal.jpg
seal.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 3970 times
seal 3.jpg
seal 3.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3970 times
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Peter Edney has obviously been sent some inferior seals. That is certainly not made of Viton or it would not decompose as in the photo. I would send him that photo and demand a refund on the basis that it is not fit for purpose. The seal that I got from him has held up well for the last few years and I recommended it in good faith. Perhaps he is unaware of the issue and he does have a good reputation. Let us know the outcome.
Did you use any sealant?- and if yes, what sealant? That could have caused the premature failure.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan