Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Morris 1000 heater

Post by Declan_Burns »

It is easy to make an adapter to fit the angled Mini valve.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Adapter_1.jpg
Adapter_1.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Adapter_moggy_1098_1.jpg
Adapter_moggy_1098_1.jpg (449.87 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
PICT0818.JPG
PICT0818.JPG (589.1 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

Regards
Declan
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

There are various valves about that will do the job, my stepson is into Minis so is a member of the local mini club and exploding heater valves are also starting to happen to them as well. The rubbish quality may be starting to filter through to them as well now !.

It really shouldn't be hard as you say, I think all of the original RANCO tooling was destroyed, but surely someone can see the market for a decent valve patterned on the original. I like the convenience of the remote control, as the car is only an occasional user and sometimes just needs little warmth.

I would prefer mine to look a little more how it should, but have had to go for reliable. That's the only breakdown I have had this year, and I had to have the AA out to it - who covered the valve in epoxy putty which worked a treat to get me home.

Be interesting to see what else turns up, think I looked at the MG one but worked out the pipe would end up fouling the battery area.

One possibility is to use an old valve as the elbow, rip the innards out if they have not burst out already, weld / plug the end up and fit an inline valve similar to mine - think that was plan A of mine.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

There are some great ideas and solutions posted on here , many thanks . The problem I have is deciding on one that will suit my humble abilities !!!!!
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I have a working late type valve that has been reliable thus far, if I didn't I'd certainly use the older manual type. It has more clearance from the rocker cover (easier tappet adjusting access) and I really don't find I need to turn the heat on and off very often. It's best to leave the heat circulation open unless you can't bear it in the height of summer anyway. I hear it evens out the temperature across the cylinder head and stops the cooling/heating systems from gunking up.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Interesting comments Monty-4 thanks .
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

What about using the old style tap to give the 90 deg bend connected with a short piece of hose to one of biomed32uk in line tap operated with the pull cord? Just leave the old tap open.

Paul
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks for another possible solution -as soon as ' she ' is back ( having had new legs ) I will start making some decisions !