Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris 1000 heater

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Advice and comments please . The heater in my Moggie has started to get warm even though it is ' turned ' off . Never happened before ---any ideas !!!!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Morris 1000 heater

Post by palacebear »

I'm assuming your car has the push/pull knob near the steering column to control heat. Assuming the control knob, the cable, and the lever on the heater valve on the cylinder head are all moving as they should and not seized/slack/broken, then probably the innards of the heater valve have started to disintegrate, allowing water to 'let-by' (as plumbers would say). It's a bit like a knackered tap washer allowing the tap to drip. Replacement valve is the best answer but make sure you get a good quality one. There have been a few adverse comments on here about some valves not lasting and even causing coolant loss after only a few months of service.
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks , sounds a possibility !! When I replaced the thermostat housing , thermostat and ultimately the water pump all,were in various stages of disintegration ! She is currently in for replacement chassis legs so I will investigate on her return. Thanks again.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Re. a replacement valve , would ESM be a suitable supplier ?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'm afraid I can't vouch for any of them. My car has the older recirculating heater (no fresh air trunking) and consequently has the screw-down valve that has to be operated from under the bonnet.

I would assume that ESM stock decent quality replacements (part no. HTR105) however their website states: 'There are currently two manufacturers of [late type] heater control valves and both have build quality issues. Please telephone for updates or advice'. £22.20 inc. VAT. Currently out of stock.
ESM also have their own version (part no. HTR105X stamped ESM). Not sure how easy it is to fit. Looks quite different. £29.40 inc. VAT. Also currently out of stock.

You could fit the earlier screw-down valve. Its a bit inconvenient. It renders the pull/push knob redundant and means lifting the bonnet each time you want to change from hot to cold or vice-versa.
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks for comments which I will take board ! I will wait until she comes back to decide a course of action .
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

You would only be throwing good money after bad buying one of those repro heater valves. They are absolute rubbish. I fitted one and it didn't last a year. I eventually replaced it with an original angled Mini valve and have had 9 years peace and quiet.
Another alternative is to read through this and follow ''biomed32uk"'s suggestion. It is a great idea!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66533&p=603610&hili ... er#p603610

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks Declan , certainly informative and food for thought !
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

If you can get a good original one it will likely be fine. Mine has been.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I've gone through two of the pull type heater valves over the last two years or so .I have resorted to the old brass screw down type after advice from the late Roy BMC and others on this forum .
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Brass screw style valve is looking favourite at the moment unless I can source an ' original ' valve .
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

As mentioned in Declan's link.... perhaps a message to Bryan at club spares might produce a good original cable-operated valve...?
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks , worth a try !
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

There are none in club spares, I tried that after the 3rd new rubbish heater valve burst on me over the easter weekend, miles from home !.

I engineered a decent valve into the system keeping the original cable remote control, works a treat and I can use the heater in the knowledge that the valve is not made from tissue paper and will explode. Coming to that time of year when some heat is needed first thing, it was this morning when I used the minor to pop out.
Attachments
2017-04-22 11.57.14.jpg
2017-04-22 11.57.14.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 3045 times
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks biomed , when spares suppliers source these replacement components do they test them ? It would seem not ! Not sure if I have the skills to engineer a valve similar to yours but certainly food fot thought .
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I am not sure if these ones for an MG have the same base profile, but they do the same job and look less Heath Robinson than the later minor type. It might be worth giving them a ring and asking about compatibility.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEK392-MGB-GT ... SwTJpZlbSf
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks firedrake , the company is not that far from me so I will check that out when I have my Moggie back ! Currently having new chassis legs !
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Checked out Midland Sports Cars and Classics . On the web site they have ADU 9102 valve which looks very sustantial , cast body . Also costly £31.75. Unfortunately they cannot advise on suitability for a Moggie , however if I take my faulty valve in they will let me compare it to theirs !! As soon as my car is back , valve off and a trip to Stourport . Their valve is for a Mini so , hopefully , it may be compatible .
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Might be worth a try. The Mini valves are similar but usually have a different angle in the body casting which means they interfere with the battery box on the Minor. On my own Minor, I replaced the heater valve with an earlier design brass tap - as others have suggested - which is less convenient but more reliable. Goodness knows why a decent replacement cannot be produced :-? ???
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

What a saga over a component that ' in my opinion ' should be simple to source .