Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Brake Pipe connectors

Post by Nickol »

I had a Problem in connecting up the rear Flex hose and had to cut the brake pipe. Rather than renewing the complete pipe from there to the 3 way valve at the front, I purchased one of These

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10X-Bremsleitung ... 0005.m1851

It works ok , although has to be done up very very tight to avoid any leaks but I would ask whether this is considered good practice or not ???
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Brake Pipe connectors

Post by oliver90owner »

In-line connectors are a normal item. Presumably there is a flared connection on each pipe and not an olive compression joint (need an english translation)? Olive connections are not safe on high pressure systems such as brakes.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

There is nothing wrong with using a brake pipe connector/joiner.
I am just about to use one to join the two halves of the front brake pipe where it goes up and over the bell housing by the starter motor.
The brake pipe on a Minor is 3/16" dia and not metric so using a metric 4.75mm joiner with 3/16" dia pipe does not help and should not be used. The correct connectors/joiners must be used for all brake applications.
The double ended connector I intend to use is a double ended female connector which required a single dome end to the brake pipe and not a double angle end and is similar to the connector in the link below.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-UNF-Brake ... SwAuZX1Vz9

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Thank you for the tips.

Yes it does have an olive Connection. The 3/16" original size corresponds to 4,76mm so I would have thought the olive would have been a tight fit. I think the main Problem is the condition of the pipe which must be perfectly round to work. Anyway, will give it a try once i have bled the system.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I reiterate: connection using olives is not safe. Do not use. Use a connector as PTH suggests. A pipe flaring tool is required.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

On reflection, I think you are right - but will put a complete new pipe in place rahter than use a connector. I have the piping in stock.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There should be no reflection - olives should not be used on brake pipes. The end of the pipe should be formed with a pipe flaring tool and the flare should be of the correct form.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

don't think I would use those,with olives,the proper way is to use male and female connectors and with a brake pipe flaring tool flare the pipe to connect the ends,its the way many systems are linked from new,and as good as new,but if you don't have a tool then you need to buy or borrow one,the problem with an olive connection is that by the nature of how they work the olive compresses the pipe ,they are pretty thin to start with. I would suspect that over here an mot tester ,if he spotted the compression system.,would fail it.Its not really the way to do it,allthough it may well work ok .But your choice good luck.just seen crossed posts,thought I was the only sado up on the net at this time of the day :D
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

"Compression joints of a type using separate ferrules are not suitable." - taken from the MoT tester's manual, section 3.6 page 1

That makes it abundantly clear that any brake pipe connector with olives is a certain failure for the MoT. I would think they would reject any couplings with a female tightening cap. That allows only factory fittings of that type being used.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

There you go !- interesting that These couplings are even available for use. Have ordered the connector for the flared Ends which was quite difficult to find on the German ebay. I already have a portable "Bördelgerät", so it will be no big deal to Change over.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You must make sure that your bordelgerat :-? has the right former for the 3/16" SAE pipe - SAE convex or SAE double end flare at 45 degrees from horizontal.

My own dordelgerat :-? has a specific former for 4.75mm DIN pipe which has a angle of 117/113 degrees.

It should be noted that there is also a 37 degrees from horizontal double flare.

Phil