Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David W.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New Exhaust

Post by David W. »

I just installed a new exhaust on my sedan. It's the two piece pipe and muffler from a prominent supplier in the UK. I also replaced the insulator above the muffler.
I'm a bit surprised to see about 1.75 inch clearance between muffler and insulator.
Is this as it should be?
muffler clearance.jpg
(2.96 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Exhaust

Post by RobThomas »

Looks about right. A thicker muffler would get very close to the insulator. The minimum clearance is more likely to be where the tail pipe crosses under the crossmember. Mine has about 1/2 there but I'm using a very narrow 'can' from a motorbike.
ex2.jpg
ex2.jpg (149.4 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

ex1.jpg
ex1.jpg (121.47 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Not very standard and not very quiet, either.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the engine and gearbox mounts are serviceable and the engine steady is in good overall condition the 1.75" clearance between the insulator and exhaust is more than adequate.
The important clearances are between the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the cross-member and where the exhaust pipe transits through the rear of the engine bay.
The Minor exhaust has always been a bit of a fiddle/compromise to get the working clearances right.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I fitted the large bore exhaust recently from one of the major culprits and the tail pipe was too long and too low. The too long is easily rectified. The bend over the rear axle does not look right to me but it can't go any higher or the top of the bend will hit the bodywork. I have seen Minor exhausts where the pipe had a double bend over the axle-probably for this reason. There is also very little clearance between the side of the fuel tank and the rear damper due to the second silencer.
It certainly made a difference performance wise.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan