Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
westy24
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Is this the right cylinder

Post by westy24 »

Is this the right cylinders for my rear brakes? My car is a 1956 splitty im scratching my head thinking how i bleed them ? Am I missing something ?
Attachments
4CB0D362-41FD-4B32-AD6E-FB435BBB4F98.jpeg
4CB0D362-41FD-4B32-AD6E-FB435BBB4F98.jpeg (673.4 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Is this the right cylinder

Post by simmitc »

It looks correct, but be aware that the early cylinders were different from the later ones, so a part number and/or dimensions would be useful. If we can't be 100% certain then buy the correct part from a trusted supplier. If they are the same then a spare is always useful, if they are different then throw that one away, you cannot take a chance on brakes. The bleed screw is behind the backplate, separate from the cylinder; but if you are asking that question then please don't work on the brakes without assistance, they are a safety critical item. The layout of the system is fully explained in all the workshop manuals and most of the parts websites and catalogues are also very clear. You really do need to consult those resources. It should all become clear when you look at the car.
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

simmitc wrote:It looks correct, but be aware that the early cylinders were different from the later ones, so a part number and/or dimensions would be useful. If we can't be 100% certain then buy the correct part from a trusted supplier. If they are the same then a spare is always useful, if they are different then throw that one away, you cannot take a chance on brakes. The bleed screw is behind the backplate, separate from the cylinder; but if you are asking that question then please don't work on the brakes without assistance, they are a safety critical item. The layout of the system is fully explained in all the workshop manuals and most of the parts websites and catalogues are also very clear. You really do need to consult those resources. It should all become clear when you look at the car.
Ok il dig out the old ones, but that in itself is a big task! I fully agree with you there ,safety first. It was a long time ago I stripped it down, and didn’t really take much notice but it’s all bagged up and labelled.i see there is a banjo connector with copper washers needed. I’m replacing the complete system and il check those resources thank you .
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

They look similar to the ones on my Morris Oxford MO, which is from 1952. I would compare with what you have already fitted to the car if possible, and if the existing ones are by Lockheed or Girling then save them! A number of firms can revive old brake parts to make them as good as new. You might even be able to re-rubber them if the bores are in good nick. Hope this helps.
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

Ok iv found the old unit here’s a pic of them both together
Attachments
39A85898-6F81-4047-A4A7-29503D282624.jpeg
39A85898-6F81-4047-A4A7-29503D282624.jpeg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Well that looks right, offer it up and see. Here's a tip. Remove the rubber band, allow the piston to pop out and coat it all well with red rubber grease. This will prevent seizure over periods of disuse and make the parts last longer. Also smear some Girling Green grease in the grooves for the sliding backplate, to help the cylinder move freely.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »