By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

How to remove thermostat housing bolt

Post by Sandun »

Hi
Friends

I removed my old bad thermostat housing( time to move new one ) , it was difficult job because , when it set , someone had use glue for the bolt hole too of housing . So i have to cut the housing two separate parts to remove it from the car.

Next , I am going to restoring useing Marina thermostat housing. The housing bolt hole is hight than old housing , Problem is i cant put the nuts to the short bolts now .

What can i do , seem to be can not remove them and very tight.

Do you know any solution or any experience with removing the 3 bolts, like to heard them

Thank you
Regards
Sandun.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How to remove thermostat housing bolt

Post by les »

You could try some release oil around the studs, then lock two nuts together tightly at the top of the stud threads. Using the bottom nut try to undo the studs.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As well as releasing fluid, try using a blow lamp to heat firstly the stud and then let it cool - this expands the stud to break any rust and glue, then contracts it to normal size. When the stud is cool, warm the area of the head around the stud before trying to move the stud with the locked nuts as above. Sometimes mole grips near the base of the stud will reduce sideways pressure compared with the nuts, which reduces the rick of snapping the stud. Good luck.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
I had the same problem with removing the thermostat housing from a 1275cc Marina cylinder head. In the end I had to cut away the housing alloy to expose the studs.
The studs would still not come free even after a prolonged soak in release oil. In the end I had to get the studs red hot before they would come free.
The threads in the head were cleaned up with 5/16" UNC tap and I replaced the studs with 5/16" UNC Allen screws well coated in Copper Ease.
Phil
Attachments
100_3120.JPG
100_3120.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 973 times