Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater refurbishment

Post by GavinL »

So I've stripped, cleaned up the heater and painted it. Two questions - where can I get replacement foam to seal around the matrix, as far as I can see none of the usual suppliers have this. Secondly the plastic 'wings' on the heater have been badly painted, how would you address this- should these be Matt, satin or gloss finish?
Attachments
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2885 times
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2885 times
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Re: Heater refurbishment

Post by biomed32uk »

You can buy foam sealing tape of various dimensions via ebay, I cant remember the dimensions but its not critical, thats where I got mine from.

The plastic bits on the end I used some black liquid shoe polish to smarten them up, and they have stayed looking good for a couple of years now, but they hadn'd been attacked with paint prior though.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Paint... matt is too " dull " , as in no reflection from the surface.
gloss is too "reflective " in bright sunlight conditions.
Satin , for me , is the right finish.
As with all painting , correct preparation is everything ! If you're not over bothered , no filler / rubbing down and a couple of coats will do.

Foam sheets . Various thicknesses are available ...just make sure they are "closed cell " type. Ordinary foam will soak up water like a sponge
and retain it for a while. Whilst "closed cell " type foam resists this action , manufacturers do not claim it is " totally non absorbent ". Resistance to absorption is circa high 90's %. Good enough for most people.
Use the old foam as templates , if still available / in one piece ! Otherwise experiment before gluing down... there is normally some overlap of the metal casing to make allowances for.
Bob
PS.Ebay is a good start to look but given your small requirement for material how about searching directly for people like : - http://www.rhnuttall.co.uk/sheeting/epdm-sponge-sheet/ You will see that they do "off cuts " ( listed on their main menu ). If you don't enquire you'll never know. I've no connection / haven't used them but it is the sort of thing you're looking for and a variety of thicknesses are made by this family firm.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

When I installed the mini heater in the Moggy, I covered the side pieces from the old Moggy hearer in a soft leatherette-see second photo. My wife did the sewing and it was glued in place.
The first photo shows the foam I used. Draught excluder from the DIY.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
PICT0557.JPG
PICT0557.JPG (782.48 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
PICT0841.JPG
PICT0841.JPG (726.75 KiB) Viewed 2995 times

Regards
Declan
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks. The casing I've painted with Jet Black from toolstation which I used on my Midget heater as well, and gives a good finish, not too glossy, but not matt either. The plastic bits I'll try the same - they've previously been painted partially with gloss which I think would be difficult to remove without damaging the textured finish, so nothing to lose.

Good idea about the foam sealing strip - I've got some left over from a previous project - I was overthinking it. Closed cell will work around the heater matrix, and I've got some open cell stuff which will work on the heater flap ( closed cell would be too firm I think ).
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Good to know I'm not the only one obsessive enough to spend the day stripping paint from the inside surfaces of the heater casing. I've just come in from the garage and asked my wife if I'm totally mad :roll:

I'm using a mini casing and fan with the flap, control and front panel from a Minor, I'll be painting it in satin black but haven't looked or thought about the plastic pieces yet.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Mark, I stripped the whole thing by electrolysis - 8 hours suspended in a dustbin of washing soda connected to a battery charger and then a quick scour with a scotchbrite pad, came up a treat with all of the rust removed. The inside was disgusting, with a line of rust where the water had been flung off the fan.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I re-sprayed the facia plate on the Minor heater with wrinkle paint before I sold it on.
Another thing you will notice is the direction of rotation of the fan. There is an arrow on the fan and strangely the motor turns in the opposite direction regardless of the polarity.

Regards
Declan
Attachments
Facia_plate.jpg
Facia_plate.jpg (156.24 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

Regards
Declan
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Declan, how did you renew the lettering on your Minor face plate? I've got a stick on version, but would prefer to renew the crackle finish.

Also, haven't tested it, but both versions of the fan indicate a different rotation for each polarity. Which set me wondering - were early minis positive or negative earth?
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mark,
I had rub on transfers like the old "Letraset" made. I had to spray over it with clear lacquer.

I bench tested the Moggy heater motor at the time with positive and negative earth and it always rotated in the opposite direction to the arrow.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks - I had tried to get hold of a suitable sheet of Letraset (there are still odd sheets knocking around on Ebay) but nothing like the correct font or size.

Mark
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Declan beat me to it - I was just about to say that the fan rotates in the opposite direction to the arrow on the impeller, the direction of rotation as indicated on the Smiths label on the motor body is correct. Having just tried it, the fan runs in the same direction irrespective of polarity.

Below is a picture of the partially assembled heater - any recommendations on the gap between the impeller and the inlet tube (this can be adjusted by moving the impeller on the motor shaft) . Also the exploded diagram in the Moss catalogue indicates a seal between impeller and tube, but no sign of one on my heater.

I'm assembling the casing with stainless screws - these are available cheaply from Toolstation or screwfix.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (826.51 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mark,
I have checked what I have on transfers left. I only have two in 3.5mm and one in 4mm. The 3.5mm seems to be spot on. The 4mm is just a tad too big. I have promised Gavin one in 3.5mm for his refurb. The other one I will need as a sample to try and get another batch printed. It shouldn't be an issue as my mate is a printer but I won't have any before the new year. You are of course more than welcome to have the 4mm version if you want. There is a guy on eBay in UK selling something similar. I have always sent them out for free.

Regards
Declan and a happy Christmas!

Regards
Declan
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Declan,

That is incredibly helpful of you and I can certainly wait until well into the new year for finishing touches. Do you mean the guy asking £27.00 for the whole plate transfer I thought was expensive when I paid £10 some time ago? More than happy to pay something for your better solution, either to you or the charity of your choice.

Happy Christmas to you - and to Gavin. I'm now off heater restoration until the new year!

Mark
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

In spite of saying I wouldn't be back on this little project until after the new year, I've had another session on it today. Interestingly, the motor for the twin fans in mine, which is an earlier Mini unit than Declan's, does reverse direction if the polarity is changed.
stag-gered
Minor Friendly

Post by stag-gered »

Hi all,

Hopefully I can join this discussion after all this time has elapsed. Managed to find the thread after a search and it answers some of my queries that I had following a strip down of my heater and casing (1969 Morris) - those on fan direction being the same regardless of which way it is connected and helpful advice on type of foam to use as replacements.

No one has mentioned the sealant/seal used between the parts on re-assembly of the casing - the rear section enclosing the fan. On dismantling there was a sealant present, but it wasn't clear if this is a square section strip or just a mastic that has formed itself into a square over time. What are members using to reseal the casing please?

Secondly, I has some 'hard' foam sections fall out on dismantling - these are approx 1/2" in section and not too much of it and in short pieces - about an 1" in length. No idea where they come from, although reading Gavin's comments above and reference to the Moss catalogue I wonder if they are the remnants of the 'seal - motor to casing' - Part Nr 84. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alan