Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: camshaft

Post by ampwhu »

I understand what your saying phil. I think I am being a little harsh on this. I can turn the camshaft by hand.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: camshaft

Post by philthehill »

ampwhu
If you are happy with the turning resistance of the camshaft that is all that matters...…………………..

To be a bit more scientific about the resistance to turning with the camshaft fitted - I have just put a good 'A' Series camshaft into a 'A' Series block with good original factory fitted camshaft bearings with the intention of measuring the resistance to turning.
With the camshaft and bearings well oiled there is very little measurable rotational resistance if any to turning.
Methodology of checking rotational resistance:-
A socket was fitted over the camshaft nut and a 8 3/4" long 1/2" drive sliding 'T' bar placed into the socket drive with the 'T' bar fully extended horizontally.
When the 'T' bar is let go the weight (325grams) of the 'T' bar will pull the camshaft around so that the 'T' bar handle just ends up vertical and at the bottom.
That is how low the resistance to turning should be with the camshaft fitted into a bare block i.e. no distributer drive, oil pump etc.
I have another 'A' series block which has had new camshaft bearings fitted and line bored by Oselli which if necessary I will dig out and see what the resistance to turning is but I am not aware that they are any different to those fitted to the block above.
Phil