Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Rear tailshaft oil seal

Post by Sandun »

Hi Friends

Can you tell me how to remove Gearbox rear tailshaft oil seal , I want to reset new one (There is some oil leak now)- I am not going to do any , if you can tel me step by step , many thanks.

Regards
Sandun.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: Rear tailshaft oil seal

Post by Nickol »

This is a real challenge Sandun - without a Special tool to get the existing one out, it is quite difficult. I tried to make one but failed and so the original seal is still in mine and still leaking, although not too much.

I would also be interested to hear from experienced People here how to do it without this Special Extractor tool, then perhaps I can tackle mine again. To get the new seal in, you have to freeze it first, I have read - but I never got that far :cry:
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Nickol
I fear that you are getting the tail shaft seal mixed up with the gearbox tail shaft bearing.
https://mossmotors.com/bush-rear-extension?assoc=29176
The seal is reasonably easy to remove (even without BMC special tool 18G389 and adapter 18G389A) - lift up the retaining tabs (which are knocked down into the groove on the tail shaft housing and gently knock the seal/metal casing rearwards making sure that the tabs do not mark or score the tail shaft housing.
Slowly does it and it will come off the tail shaft housing.
A new seal/metal casing can then be knocked on and the front edge of the metal casing can be knocked down as tabs into the machined groove. Knock down the same number of tabs as originally found.

https://mossmotors.com/oil-seal-rear-1?assoc=29178

Phil

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Sandun
Excellent advice ... as always from Phil. The new seal will slip back on a little easier if you smear a little oil on the rubber (1) and felt (2)
parts. Keeping the seals , new and old , " square " will prevent damage. Gentle taps , whilst moving around the circumference is better than hitting it hard at one point and getting it stuck. Wipe off any excess oil once it is correctly installed.
Bob
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

philthehill wrote:Nickol
I fear that you are getting the tail shaft seal mixed up with the gearbox tail shaft bearing.

Phil
you are quite right - I am mixing it up. Apologies.

I was warned at the time however, that if the tail shaft bearing leaked , then the seal would be unlikely to prevent further leakage.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Nickol
That is the gamble one takes but worth replacing the seal first.
One always lives in hope.
Phil