Mini SPi Front Mounted Radiator?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tim Twigger
MMOC Member: No

Mini SPi Front Mounted Radiator?

Post by Tim Twigger »

My Minor is currently fitted with an Allegro crossflow radiator and electric fan that I fitted in the late '80's. It's worked perfectly but is now getting slightly old and leaky (like the owner) and I was looking for a replacement.
I'm considering the front mounted type from the very last Rover Mini's, it's a compact efficient unit and on the basis that the engine is basically the same in terms of water jacket it seems like a good option.
I realise I could go original but they are way too big and inefficient in my humble opinion.
Has anyone ever carried out this particular permutation and if so any handy hints?

Tim Twigger
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mini SPi Front Mounted Radiator?

Post by philthehill »

You are correct in that the Minor radiator is much larger than required but the size is a left over from the days of thermo-syphon and no water pump.

You could fit a Classic Mini Cooper S which is smaller and therefore more efficient.

The Cooper S radiator was fitted to the famous Miller's Minor and proved very satisfactory as regards keeping the engine cool.
Attachments
img087.jpg
img087.jpg (637.24 KiB) Viewed 538 times

Tim Twigger
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mini SPi Front Mounted Radiator?

Post by Tim Twigger »

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply. I certainly can't see why it wouldn't work really well in conjunction with the Mini electric fan and expansion vessel.