Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Mgb axle

Post by andrew.searston »

Hi everyone
I’m looking for a axle to suit a Ford zetec engine and type 9 gearbox but that’s fairly straight forward to fit onto the original rear springs and to retain the original look regards wheel spacing , I’ve heard mgb axle is a possible fit ?
Any ideas?
Thanks
[sig]9671[/sig]
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Mgb axle

Post by amgrave »

I don't know for sure but I seem to recall from previous threads the MGB axle is a different width to the moggy one, might be wrong though. Surely your best bet would be to have the moggy prop shaft altered to suit your intended set up.

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

Using the moggy axle would be perfect, but I doubt it would handle the extra torque, if there is a stronger diff and hardened halfshafts that would cope with about 170bhp that would be great
[sig]9671[/sig]
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by midget »

Yes, it's certainly doable and has been done. There is a thread about it on the other channel that used the whole power train from the "B".
I nearly bought the same saloon as it was advertised last year in Somerset. Went down there and drove it and can report that it is very well sorted conversion, which drove very well. https://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk//vi ... 2&start=15
Usual mod to mountings and handbrake issues 4.5 pcd (14") wheels but has 3.9 diff and big brakes to enjoy. Front brakes parts can be utilised as the are almost the same as the Marina calliper.
I have a scrap complete '75 B in the garden!!!
Edited to say Not for sale.
John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Funnily enough there is a Minor for sale on the carandclassic website I spotted yesterday with MGB engine, gearbox and axle. I don't know whereabouts it is but it looks remarkably standard on the outside - a good "wolf in sheeps clothing"! It is Trafalgar Blue.
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by midget »

Well spotted, that's the same one although considerably more expensive asking price that I nearly paid. I note that it's moved to Boston.
Nice conversion though,I regret letting it escape.
John