Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Water pump

Post by stag36587 »

I’ve got a slight suspicion that the water pump may not be pumping, i.e. with engine on and radiator cap removed I don’t see any noticeable movement in the water. Other symptom is that heater isn’t working. I replaced the thermostat but that’s made no difference. I also don’t notice any particular difference in top hose temperature, What can I do to doublecheck?
]
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Water pump

Post by amgrave »

Remove the thermostat from the system and do your checks again to see if water is flowing, with the thermostat removed the water should flow through the radiator all the time the engine is running. If not suspect the pump. Make sure you try the check with a bit of engine revs though and not just at tickover.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

How old is the water pump?

Some water pumps are fitted with a pressed steel impellor which eventually rusts away resulting in the water pump having no ability to pump coolant.
The best water pumps are those fitted with the deep cast iron impellor though when fitting you must ensure that there is clearance behind the impellor and which may involve slightly relieving the inside of the block which is not difficult.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... ssic/water pump.aspx|Back to search

Give the engine a good flush through to remove any silt before removing the water pump.

See also:-

http://www.minispares.com/article/GWP13 ... -gwp188evo

Note the 2000 rpm pumping speed.

Phil

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Great advice guys many thanks
]