Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Mmm bit feathered

Post by surfergirl »

So finished all the welding on the saloon winter project. Painting the wheel arch discovered both front tyres are badly worn on the insides, must have been like this for a good while. Tracking or worse?!
Attachments
IMG_20180212_143722.jpg
IMG_20180212_143722.jpg (454.62 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

David W.
Minor Fan

Re: Mmm bit feathered

Post by David W. »

The camber is bad.
I had the same wear on the outside of the tyres. I fixed by shimming the eye bolt away from the frame by the appropriate amount.
Check your eye bolt to see if there are shims you can remove.
With the weight on the wheels, put a level vertically on the wheel. Try to measure at the wheel, not the tyre. See how much out of plumb the wheels are. I moved the bottom of the level away from the wheel and measured how much shimming is required. (Measure at the approximate height of the eye bolt.)
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I wouldn't ignore the tracking though.

surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks for the replies. Only drove the car once on the way from getting it, been in a barn for years, drove well with no pulling which is a surprise looking at the tyres!
Tracking looks way out when you look from the front, one wheel points slightly out from the other. Will see how many threads are left on each track rod end and go from there.
Don't remember seeing any spacers between the chassis leg and the eye bolt.

surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Checked the track rods and theres more threads showing on the passenger side so that won't help! Gonna check all suspension and steering joint before putting it back on the road, any help in what to look for would be good.
Particularly don't want the lower trunnion to pop off as has happened in the past!
Is there a test on the car with a lever to check for play as in the mot?

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

To check for wear between the bottom trunnion and swivel pin:-
Take the load off the torsion bar by jacking up (safely and using axle stands to support the vehicle) under the outer end of the bottom suspension arm. Lift up the swivel bottom seal to expose the top of the bottom trunnion - pull on the bottom of the wheel and you should see any wear as angular or rocking movement between the swivel pin and the top of the bottom trunnion.
If any rocking it indicates wear between the bottom trunnion and steering swivel.
If you have any doubts as to the amount of wear remove the swivel and check for wear between trunnion and swivel with the swivel mounted in a vice.

Regarding the unequal number of threads on the end of the steering rack arms.
An unequal number of threads does not mean that the tracking is out only that the steering alignment has not been centralised with the rack.

surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks I will check for play tomorrow. Should be fun.!