Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fueling issue

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Hello chaps, been a while since I've logged on here.
I broke down this evening in my 1958 Morris fitted with a 1098. It began by being slightly hesitant, the fuel pump began to tick, then juddering, then the ticking became rapid. I thought the fuel gauge may have been reading wrong and tank had ran empty, it was reading alittle below quarter. I put fuel in, the ticking had stopped. Engine turns over fine, but wont fire up without being on the pedal, and even still will cut out after a few seconds.

I wont have time to investigate until the weekend, but want to know if people may have experienced the same? I don't think its the fuel pump but do have a spare just incase. Any advice is appreciated :)
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fueling issue

Post by simmitc »

It sounds like a fuel issue, but could also be a condenser or other ignition component.

Remove the plugs and connect to their correct HT leads whilst ensuring that the plug is well earthed. Turn over the engine with the ignition on and confirm that you are getting good sparks on all four plugs. Refit the plugs and leads in normal position

Ignition off, disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and place in a container that is suitable for petrol. Caution, take care to have good ventilation and avoid sparks and fire. Turn on ignition and check that fuel flows freely. Return petrol to the tank.

Now we will know where to direct our attention. Poor sparks = ignition system, poor fuel delivery = tank/pump. Good sparks and good fuel flow = carb.

You can also try removing the air filter and pouring a teaspoon of petrol down the throat and then seeing if the engine will start.

Report results and we can advise further.
rsawatson
Minor Fan

Post by rsawatson »

Hello,

I've suffered fuel pump failure before (post running out of fuel) where the points inside have failed (due, presumably, to running on 'overdrive' with no fuel in the line) - this is therefore a possibility. However, if you don't suspect the pump to be at fault, it can be tested in about two minutes (as I'm sure you know), so can easily be eliminated.

However, assuming the fault really is a fuelling issue, I'm confused as to why the car is still starting. Is the float chamber full of fuel? I've also had the float needle valve give trouble before, the symptoms of which are not too dissimilar to yours.

Having said that, I've been caught out on more than one occasion by a fault which I have convinced myself to be fuel related which has turned out to be a dodgy condenser.

Good luck and I'll be interested to hear how you get on!
Last edited by rsawatson on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Watson

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe the carb jets have clogged up with silt from the tank if it had emptied.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Maybe........or maybe the dashpot is low on oil. Or maybe something else. However, I endorse simmitc's diagnostic tests to close in on the specific area associated with the problem. Once the OP has reported back on the outcomes to these tests, we can provide a more accurate diagnosis.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just a suggestion, linked to the low/empty fuel issue.

Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Hello chaps and thanks all for your input!
Had the car fired back up this evening, turns out it ran out of fuel. More fuel and bled the system then toke her out for a drive!
Which leads to my next question, can the float be adjusted in the fuel tank as the gauge reading is wrong? It was reading just under quarter of a tank when cutting out.
Cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You can with care adjust/bend the rod between the float and sensor.

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before attempting adjustment and a new gasket " to hand " would be useful.
Apologies , if I'm preaching to the converted.
Bob
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I've "calibrated" my gauge by observing the reading when the tank is empty. Then I put in 2 gallons at a time, and observe where each 1/4 full indicates.