Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lubrication schedule - correct methods?

Post by palacebear »

May be silly questions but I'm going to ask anyway.
I need to get everything underneath Max greased as per the lubrication chart.
Should the trunnions be greased with the front wheels on the ground or off?
My water pump still has a grease nipple. Is it essential to lubricate it? (I've heard that excessive lubrication can cause pump seal failure).
Can the steering rack be oiled using a small flexi-spout oil can or is something more substantial needed?
Thanks in advance.
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Lubrication schedule - correct methods?

Post by RobThomas »

My 2 cents....

Jack under the bottom arm so the leg is free to swivel and the grease is free to ooze round the trunnions. Jack under the bottom of the bottom trunnion also works.

Waterpump. Later rebuilds might use sealed bearings (MMOC rebuilds of early MM series pumps, for example) so greasing would be a bad plan. If not old style seals then a small quantity shouldn't hurt.

Rack. Oiling it is a PITA. It should be oil under slight pressure but also oozing some into (or injecting via syringe?) the gaiters on the outer ends will help. You want it to ooze between the rack and the doodad gear cog at the base of the column and then run the wheel from lock to lock.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the water pump is suitable for greasing and you intend to grease the water pump you should use 'Water Pump Grease'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils ... 0005.m1851

As Rob says above.

If you do not take the load off the torsion bar the grease cannot move around the swivel and trunnion threads.
Below is a bottom trunnion that I fitted with more than one grease nipple to determine which was the best position for the grease nipple to distribute grease to and around the bottom trunnion..
The best position was near the bottom opposite the vertical internal slot.
Attachments
100_2435.JPG
100_2435.JPG (273.07 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Scaramanga. (Anyone else get it?) :D
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

A witch with a surplus of nipples for suckling her imps and the devil.

An excess of nipples would do you for the Witch Finder General.
To the ducking pool with you - if you survived you were guilty - if you drowned you were innocent :cry:

Happy days. :wink:

http://thesuperfluousnipple.blogspot.co ... -gene.html

Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

On this theme - I have a new steering rack fitted and it has no Provision for a grease nipple - you could however, undo the bolt adjacent to where where the steering column fits into and insert a, wait for it, M7 nipple. They do exist.
The supplier seemed to be unsure but was himself informed that no greasing/oiling is necessary.

I am somewhat sceptical however that this is the case. Anyone in the know?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Thanks Phil and Rob for the replies, suggestions, and tips on creating Bond villains out of Moggie parts :lol: I'm going to fit Max with a single, black painted headlamp peak and re-name him 'Largo' :)

The lubrication work is being done by my local garage cos I'm just too damn lazy. However, their solitary BMC trained mechanic now only works part-time so I'll probably end up with a less-well-trained fitter doing the job... with me watching him like a hawk!
1956 4-door called Max
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Nickol

The bolt you refer to is in fact 1/4" x 26TP BSF.
A 7mm x 1mm bolt/grease nipple will fit but very loosely.

The two bolts keep the thrust plate in place and one should not be replaced with a grease nipple.
The grease nipple could be fitted for lubrication but the bolt must be refitted before use.
The grease nipple must be fitted in the right hole as one of the holes is blind.
The grease nipple is normally fitted at the other end of the rack from the pinion.

The steering rack should be lubricated as per wksp man section P & PP.

Phil

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

thankyou Phil for the info.

what you describe is the Standard original unit. It seems that the new aftermarket ones available do not have the second opening to thread into that the original ones had :cry:

Hence I was wondering if the 1/4" UNF bolt you mention could be temporarily replaced by a grease nipple for lubrication purposes only? It seems to me, despite what the supplier says, that no lubrication is necessary, to be illogical not to lubricate in some way.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Nickol
The original bolts are 1/4" BSF not UNF.
Not having seen a new after market rack with only one bolt I cannot envisage how the pinion thrust is retained in the rack housing.
I will have to do some investigating.
All the main suppliers I have looked at supply the same original spec steering rack and reconditioned.
The only rack I have found without the pinion thrust bearing cover is that fitted to the later classic Mini. That does not mean the rack you describe does not exist but I have not found any reference to it.
If you can provide a link to the after market steering rack you describe it would be appreciated.
The non blind hole can have the 1/4" BSF bolt temporarily replaced with a suitable grease nipple for lubrication purposes but the bolt must be refitted before driving the car.
Lubrication of the rack is absolutely necessary otherwise it would eventually be come stiff to operate unless it is pre-packed and constructed differently from the original.
The workshop manual is quite clear that the original spec steering rack does need to be lubricated.
It should be noted that each of the two damper pads are retained by one threaded cup but at a much larger outside dia than 7mm.

Phil

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

hallo Phil,

Thsnks for your Trouble on this.

the unit I purchased about 3 years ago from the leading supplier but I have just looked on their Website and as you say only reconditioned ones are now shown, The one I have installed was stamped "made in Argentina" but I cannot photo it very well as it is already built in.

It is actually a double Problem as I have also got a new rack installed in my Triumph herald which also has no Provision for installing a grease nipple, the place where the removable bolt was has been blanked off. i.e. is solid metal. Here is the link to that one and this supplier also confirmed that no lubrication is necessary......perhaps he meant "possible"? :roll:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-305931

So OK, I will find a way to lubricate the both of them

sorry about the BSF -UNF mixup - I had no inkling what thread it is and misquoted your post.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

To follow up on Phil's remark about lubricating the steering rack (with EP90 oil), I use one of these: https://www.frost.co.uk/hp-push-type-oil-gun.html It works fine for me.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

RobThomas wrote:Scaramanga. (Anyone else get it?) :D
:D
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

myoldjalopy wrote:To follow up on Phil's remark about lubricating the steering rack (with EP90 oil), I use one of these: https://www.frost.co.uk/hp-push-type-oil-gun.html It works fine for me.
Thanks @ myoldjalopy. I MIGHT treat myself to one - :)
P.S. I've quoted your post. Wonder if you'll get a notification.... :roll:
1956 4-door called Max
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Er... not yet but just heard from Admin that it is hopefully now fixed.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

philthehill wrote:Nickol

Lubrication of the rack is absolutely necessary otherwise it would eventually be come stiff to operate unless it is pre-packed and constructed differently from the original.
The workshop manual is quite clear that the original spec steering rack does need to be lubricated.
It should be noted that each of the two damper pads are retained by one threaded cup but at a much larger outside dia than 7mm.

Phil
just stumbled across this

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/steering- ... soc=138969

....and to save looking it up

These assemblies are factory lubricated with lithium grease (not oil as per the originals). They are sealed, and are not meant to be re-lubricated.

I noticed yesterday when renewing the Brakes that one of the gaitors is split - probably when the toe-in was set some time ago and it was not loosened up first. No Lithium grease came pouring out !
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the gaiter is split the steering rack in its totality should be cleaned because if the gaiter is split dirt and crud can get in and lithium grease out.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I must do this yes. Fortunately I have not driven it very much since and never in the rain. This is mainly because the Brakes were not right and this is being done now....................hopefully.