Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Cannot grease trunnion

Post by quee2646 »

Hello,

I'm having difficulty greasing the top trunnion on one side. The actual nipple appears fine, but no matter how much pressure I apply no grease goes in - and nothing comes out anywhere either.

Any help please?

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Cannot grease trunnion

Post by philthehill »

Have you taken the load off the torsion bar and swivel threads by jacking up under the outer end of the lower suspension arms?

If you not done so take out the grease nipple and try some grease through it - if ok the grease hole in the trunnions may be blocked with old solidified grease.

Try poking around in the grease nipple hole with a thin screwdriver or stiff wire.

If you still cannot get the grease through - at worst it means removing the top trunnion to clean the internals and grease ways.

Removing the top trunnion is not a hard job - use the search facility on here for details or come back to this thread.

Phil

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Okay, thanks. Will do.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Where are you based?

If anyone near to you has a Wanner grease gun that you can borrow, that will usually get the grease past any obstruction!
Richard

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

I'm in Ruislip, Islip!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Remove the grease nipple first and try the grease gun on it to see if the grease comes through ok.
If there is too much pressure placed on the grease nipple it could then be internally damaged and bits of the grease nipple go into the swivel threads which is not what you want.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dalebrignall »

have you tryed having someone move the steering from side to side as you put the grease in , the car had to be jacked up just off the ground you need to use axel stands to be safe
[sig]5641[/sig]
quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Okay, looks like I might need to dismantle the top trunnion. Can anybody direct me to a guide, please?