Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

An Easy Fix!

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sometimes its not as bad as you think!
Having noticed a slight leak from the bottom rad hose, I tightened up the jubilee clip which seemed to sort the problem. To make sure, I took the car out for a 'test drive' and was alarmed to hear a horrible rattling sound from the front end every time I accelerated. Head gasket? It didn't matter what gear I was in. I couldn't understand why - after all, I hadn't done anything other than tighten a jubilee clip! :o
With that ghastly sinking feeling, I returned and opened the bonnet. And then I saw it. In order to get at the jubilee clip more easily, I had pushed the 'handle' of the 'saucepan' type air filter out of the way. I hadn't moved it back when I had finished the job and it was rattling on the channel above the inner wing! Pushed it back - rattle gone!
If only all problems were fixed as easily............. :roll:
simmitc

Re: An Easy Fix!

Post by simmitc »

I was racing ahead and expected you to say that you found the screwdriver catching on the fan.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

I always pray for an " easy fix " when working on Classic Cars. My prayers aren't always answered ... guess I must have been naughty at some time in my past ! Must pray a bit harder next time.
Bob
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Oh, we've all been naughty at some point! :wink:
The reason a lot of routine jobs/repairs turn out to be not so easy is that the majority of these old cars have been neglected and abused by previous owners who ran them as old bangers and servicing/maintenance was non-existant, skimped or bodged. This sort of approach led to a huge decline in the Minor population during the last 20 years or so as they eventually end up at the scrap yard. So, for many of those that are left we have the assortment of irritating setbacks when attempting repairs - stripped threads, rusted on/rounded off nuts, mangled screw heads, worn out steering legs, 'wrong' parts fitted etc. At least most owners now have a sense of responsibility and I hope any further decline in numbers of these car (once a very familiar sight on British roads) has been halted.