Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grandpascot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

HS2 Carb. What am I missing?

Post by grandpascot »

I have disassembled my carb today to give it a good service. The main reason for doing this is that when I fill the dashpot with oil after about three days the oil has all leaked out. I assume that there is a gasket, washer or o ring to stop this but looking at all the SU diagrams I cannot for the life of me see what I am missing.
Can someone please enlighten me.
Thanks

Mike
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: HS2 Carb. What am I missing?

Post by philthehill »

There is no gasket or seal.
If you fill the damper/dashpot to the top the oil will naturally seep down into the damper chamber and ultimately sucked into the inlet tract to be burnt in the cylinder.
The oil only has to be to the top of the damper tube. Any more and the thing is overfilled.

grandpascot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by grandpascot »

The oil will all seep out even if the car isn’t used. It’s not burned as it collects in a pool immediately below the carb.

The carb was very dirty and as I’m not missing any gaskets etc I just hope that a jolly good clean will perhaps sort the problem out.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If the dashpot is filled to the correct level there should be no escape of oil when the engine is not running.
The only route of escape for the damper oil is down past the damper piston cylinder, into the damper chamber and out through the vacuum hole(s) in the bottom of the piston and out of the carb either past the jet assy or out/past the carb to air cleaner gasket and/or the carb body air holes serving the damper piston.

If the engine is running and the dash pot is overfilled the oil can be pushed out through the hole in the dash pot top screw lid and then run down the side of the carb ending up below the carb..