Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Handbrake fairlead

Post by GavinL »

On the brake fair leads there is a flexible material behind the guide, as below.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
I haven't seen this listed on any supplier list. Anyone know what material it is or what would be suitable?
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Handbrake fairlead

Post by taupe »

Hi

its like a greased canvas or webbing material (possibly but probably not asbestos).. Ive not seen these listed anywhere for minors but they can be found for minis which are similar but not quite as long...the modern rubber ones are useless..If you are careful you can usually reposition your originals to one side and get a further 10 years use from them. They do sometimes appear on ebay new old stock,,, I found a pair last year for my traveller... :)

Taupe
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

You learn summat new every day! I've never seen any before but they are a great idea. What a bu66er to fit, though.

I'll have to try and find something to go in there. GRP weave smushed with Silicone sealant and covered in grease might do it.

Hello Taupe. Haven't seen you in these parts for a while. :D
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

How many per car? Is it 2 or 4?

Would greased leather do?
Cardiff, UK
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Two per car, one per fairlead, on the underside of the tunnel. I'll take them off this evening and clean up and post the dimensions.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Rob
There were qty 4 fairlead plate gaskets on my minor when new. One under each fairlead plate.

The Mini fairlead plate ACA5522 is the same part number as the Minor fairlead plate ACA5522.

The original seals were for use of a better word(s) a type of rubberised cardboard. The same material (Pt No: ACA5518) as used to cover the spit hole in the bulkhead.

Here is a link to the Mini fairleads/gaskets.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI ... XQDjhQ6xNx

Here is another supplier but it does not specify the material used.
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... -,68W49hT1

Greased leather should do the job so long as you use self locking nuts.
Phil

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Just in time! I've fitted my handbrake cables and painted my fairlead plates, but hadn't worked out how to refit without calling on one of my unwilling assistants. None of these pads in place when I dismantled.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (247.87 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
So here's a picture of the remaining pad on my car. As Phil says its some kind of impregnated card. As you can see its 3" x 2".
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Yes Just move the holes over 10mm and refit!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for posting the picture of the fairlead seal as removed from your vehicle.
There should be no need for anything larger than the seal used for the Mini as the metal fairlead is the same size, same part number.
The fairlead grove for the cable faces forward inside the car and rearwards in the transmission tunnel. It will cover all of the oblong hole as required and I cannot see anything being gained by making the seal longer.

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Bull Motif list these as HBK125 (edit) Handbrake cable anti chafe gasket as original..... they dont show a picture

They do list original mini fibre ones (not rubber) as Original Rover fibre sealing pad (21A385) for the handbrake cable guide (fairlead) fitted to the tunnel on all Mini models

I dont know about Phil's car but on mine there are clearly 4 metal fairleads and two fairlead seals these are mounted under the floor only... on mine the wear was almost through to the metal tunnel along the entire length of the seal and therefore I would not want to use the shorter mini seals......perhaps the angle of the cable exit differs on the Mini.

The closest I could find to the original material before I found genuine original replacements was SAE dense pressed felt with graphite grease impregnation...but oiled chrome leather would probably be good as suggested...

Taupe
Last edited by taupe on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The correct Bull Motif Pt No for the anti chafe gasket is HBK125.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=5436

HBK201 is listed as the handbrake cable.

If the hand brake cable can chafe on one face of the transmission tunnel it can chafe on both inner and outer faces as both the angle of entry and exit through the tunnel is the same.
After examining the handbrake cable route through the transmission tunnel of my Minor I would advise that qty 4 ant-chafe gaskets are fitted - one on the outside of the transmission tunnel and one under the transmission tunnel as was originally fitted to my Minor from new.

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Were your original top fairlead seals short ones as fitted on a Mini or were they original minor long ones flapping about under the carpet?

It does appear from Mini sites that they fitted seals both sides on some minis and underside only on others with a definite change point, the ones on my mini are rubber like and I presume are for water sealing rather than preventing wear from the cable....On my 63 Traveller there is certainly no sign of wear inside my car at the transmission tunnel just a slightly greasy patch on the back of the carpet! I would think that the cables could flap about a bit under the car when the hand brake is off whilst driving along and maybe this is what leads to the wearing through the fairlead seal after some considerable mileage.

There are often production differences with cars especially with such a long production as the Minor so maybe we are both right...

Taupe
Last edited by taupe on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Maybe they fitted fewer seals on Friday afternoons.