Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Fixing cables and pipes

Post by GavinL »

Originally these were fixed with steel strips which you wrap around the pipe / cable, but these tend to rust away, break, and, from my recent experience on the underside of my car, can be rust traps. I'm considering replacing with cable tie bases like those below, either riveted to the car or fixed with s/s self tappers or s/s nuts and bolts, and using cable ties. What do others do?
Attachments
cteb and ctcb.JPG
cteb and ctcb.JPG (5.65 KiB) Viewed 639 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fixing cables and pipes

Post by ManyMinors »

Frankly I'd have thought that you're far more likely to encourage rust by drilling holes in the underside of your car and attaching those than sticking with the original type of tags. Certainly the last thing you want to use is self tapping screws which have a horrible sharp end waiting to attack you on the other side :o
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree with the above. I think that the nylon cable tie ide has some merits, but if you are going to use them then try pan head brass machine screws with the head on the inside and the nut on the outside; and ensure that the edges of any hole drilled are sealed to prevent water ingress.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

These are what you should use if you want anything different to the original clips.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-CLIPS-RUBB ... 1An5-IM5rw

I use similar.

Cable ties are very hard and can soon chaff through a pipe if the pipe is not held completely rigid