Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

DYNAMO BEARINGS (Shouting)

Post by RobThomas »

Just got back from the airport. Wondered what that clattery noise was. Turns out that the front bearing on the dynamo had died in a glorious heroic manner and had smashed itself into oblivion within sight of the driveway. A good half inch of slop at the front end. Never seen one disintegrate like that. At first I thought it had thrown a rod or something similarly terminal
I guess I shouldn't grumble since it wasn't a dark and rainy night on the motorway, but.... :evil:
Cardiff, UK
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: DYNAMO BEARINGS (Shouting)

Post by Trickydicky »

Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well Rob, relief that the clattery noise wasn't something nasty in the engine or gearbox! 8)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Well, I've just pulled it apart. I found loads of C39s in the shed, mostly Frogeye Sprite ones but they don't work right with the later 106/2 regulator so I have to rebuild this one. I popped the thing apart and found that 50% of the balls had gone from the front bearing. It wasn't a sealed one and the rubber seal on the front was torn up, hence the dead ball bearings. I had trouble getting the old bearing off so resorted to Mr Dremel. The (this one, anyway) C40-1 front bearing doesn't have rivets holding it in and has a snap ring which is a grade-A bu66er to get out.
Cardiff, UK