Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

oil filter type

Post by markandsuefoss »

How do I know if the filter housing is Purolator or Tecalemet? - I have a 71 Traveller. OK the same paper element can be used in each but the seals differ and I can't see any identifying marks on the housing.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: oil filter type

Post by ianmack »

The filters I use come with two seals so they can be used for either type of housing. I buy them from Bull Motif.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

As above - I’m not sure how to tell them apart, but every filter I’ve ever bought has come with a couple of different seals to choose from, so just use the one that matches the one you remove, and you’ll be fine.
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

Thanks both, but I'm not being clear - my fault. There are indeed bowl to housing seals with each filter, so one of these does fit.There are however two others - more like washers really. The first sits below the plate on which the filter sits. Mine has split (below this is a metal washer and below that the spring). The other sits in a recess in the outside of the cone shaped end of the bowl. It is these two that I'm talking about - some suppliers have different seals/washers for these two parts based on whether its a Tecalemet or Purolator. Mind you they are cheap, so I could order both types and see which fits, but I'd like to know what housing type I have.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I can't offhand say what my filter was ( I now have a screw on type) however I remember on top of the spring was a plain steel washer, followed by a thin rubber one, the plate followed. On the large through bolt there was an O ring sitting under the bolt head, to seal the canister.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The two filter heads are distinctly different.

The top of the Purolator filter head is reasonably flat.

The top of the Tecalamite filter head has a large 'pimple' on its top face which contains the female thread for the filter securing bolt.

Another good indicator as to the type of filter head you have fitted is that the seals which go under the filter base plate are made from totally different materials.

The Purolator seal is made of rubber and is Pt No: 7H28.

The Tecalamite seal is made of felt and is Pt No: 2K5820.

The Purolator bottom seal is Pt No: 508380.

The Tecalamite bottom seal is Pt No: 7H1759.

See link for further details:-

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html

markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

I meant to reply with my thanks earlier - Purolator it is.