Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Swivel pin death-rattle

Post by Edward1949 »

My L/H front is making that familiar light/medium clack/clonk over poor road surfaces. I'm thinking of getting the complete swivel pin plus trunnions which are listed by several parts suppliers. In the past there were dark rumours of inferior swivel pins on the market. Does anyone know if there are suppliers who can be relied on for decent quality for this safety-critical part?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Swivel pin death-rattle

Post by ManyMinors »

Are you sure the sound is the swivel pin? Have you actually checked for play? I have generally found that a rattle is one of the dampers becoming worn (and sometimes simply the mounting bolts being less than fully tight). It can also be wear in the steering rack.
As far as I know there is only one manufacturer of new swivel pins but others might know different. There were some reconditioned ones available at one time but I don't think that is the case any more? I haven't seen mention of them for some years.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

As well as checking the above examine the condition of the eye bolts, eye bolt bushes and eye bolt pins.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If, having undertaken the checks suggested above, you find the swivel pin is knackered, ESM recently announced that they have MMC Bath manufactured kingpins in stock. They claim to be "extremely pleased with the high level of manufacture". That sounds promising as I have always found ESM to be a reliable company..........
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

Thanks for the advice etc.
The upper trunnion rubber bushes are certainly badly worn. Does anyone know if there would be enough play in the suspension leg's bottom trunnion bushes to lever the top trunnion rearwards free of the damper lever while leaving the lower one undisturbed ?
(PS: Both ESM and Bull Motif are offering the full swivel pin plus top and bottom trunnions plus all bushes etc for around £150 incl VAT. Having witnessed a couple of Minors collapsing over the years I'm tempted to go for it!)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The top trunnion can be detached from the top trunnion pin without difficulty and without undoing anything to the bottom trunnion.
Jack and secure the car on axle stands - then take the load off the torsion bar with a jack.
Peel back the lock washer, undo the nut, remove the large flat washer and rear rubber bush and pulling rearwards on the top trunnion twist the trunnion off the pin. May take a bit of effort but doable.
Make sure that the brake pipe is not under any strain.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As Phil says, replacing the top bushes is a perfectly straightforward task. I would use the poly bushes available as the new rubber ones seem very poor quality. New swivel pins do not cost a fortune when they need replacing. If your car requires new ones then go for it but unless they are required there is no need to replace them "just in case". I have never seen a Minor collapse in the road because of a little wear. Check yours of course but for that to happen, the trunnions have usually been badly neglected and have little or no lubrication around the threads. With proper and regular lubrication they should last many many years.