Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mabel
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brake problem

Post by Mabel »

After finding 3 weeping & 1 seized Front Wheel cylinders on my 1970 Saloon. I have refurbished the brakes with new cylinders brake shoes and springs. I have also replaced the flexible hoses and the offside copper pipe. I have bled the brakes twice and adjusted up the shoes. However I am left with a spongy pedal and too much play. The pedal does not pump up just spongy. I did notice when I bled the brakes I was getting some splash back out of the master cylinder. Does anyone think there may be an issue with master cylinder?
Any advice would be appreciated?
Thanks
Mike

arjay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake problem

Post by arjay »

Mike, If doing all the other cylinders. I would inspect the MC and at least replace the seals. I am about to do mine, as it has been laid up for some time.
Shane
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If the pedal was OK before the work then the MC won;t have suddenly failed and the problem will be air in the system. Bleeding can be a notorious operation but perseverance does normally get a reward. Despite all the gadgets designed to help, sometimes the best way is to have someone in the car, you open the nipple, they push the pedal down, you close the nipple they release the pedal slowly. Repeat as required. Don;t forget that you could have let air into the rest of the system and so bleeding the rears as well might be necessary.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Make sure the brake shoes are well adjusted, to the point where they are slightly binding, after being centralised in the drums. If not, bleeding is ineffective.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

It's normal for the m/c to do this, just replace the top when bleeding to stop it getting on the paintwork.
The problem will be air in the system, I have found the best way to bleed the brakes after major work is to start at the front o/s then front n/s then rear o/s and rear n/s. Then go around in the normal way.
Having a helper and bleeding by pumping up a firm pedal and opening the bleed cylinder, allow the pedal to go to the floor then closing the bleed nipple, do this on all corners until you get no bubbles has always worked for me. The wife is quite adept at it now.
Do be aware though that because you are using the full stroke of the m/c, any pitting or rust on the bore of the m/c may cause problems in the future. Keep an eye out for any fluid levels and leaks
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Mabel
Minor Friendly

Post by Mabel »

Thanks for your responses. I will re check everything and give it another go.
Cheers
Mike