Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Leyland
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Track rod ends with grease nipples

Post by Leyland »

Hi all, I have just fitted a pair of new track rod ends fitted with grease nipples.
However, I have come to put grease in and it comes straight out through a small hole alongside the nipple. Should there be a thin washer under the nipple that would cover the hole, or should I fit one to grease up and then remove washer.
Help appreciated please
Ty
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Track rod ends with grease nipples

Post by Trickydicky »

Try nipping up the grease nipped, they may only be finger tight.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

There used to be a thin, slightly domed washer under the nipple, it was made of spring steel I believe, it put up some resistance to the grease escaping but some still got through.

Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Sorry perhaps my message wasn’t as clear as it should be.
The grease nipple is in tight. However, close to the nipple is a small hole deliberately drilled into track rod, and is about 1/8 inch away from the base of the nipple. It is the same in both track rod ends and seems part of the manufacture.
Hope this helps.
Ty
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That sounds quite normal, I've seen it on many TREs. The thread on the nipple is not normally long enough to accommodate a washer. You could just stick your finger over the hole or use a small self-tapping screw whilst you pump the grease in. I believe that in theory the hole is to let air out and prevent an air-lock or over-pressurizing that could affect the seal.
Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Thanks simmitc

That certainly makes sense. I have some very thin copper washers that may span the hole.

Thanks for replies
Ty
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If air and excess grease can get out through the hole - water and crud can get in through the hole.

Normally there is a light spring(s) holding the track rod end seal in place and which will expand to allow excess air and grease out past the edge of the seal without letting water and crud back in.

See BMC wksp man Section J9 - Rubber seal steering joints - re the earlier type with two metal cups and a washer.