How many of you have had leak problems with plastic pipe brake header tanks, thanks

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

How many of you have had leak problems with plastic pipe brake header tanks, thanks

Post by GPO_Van »

I am also having trouble with a header tank to my Brake master cylinder (BMC) leaking, mine also has a plastic pipe held onto the BMC and the header tank using cable ties, totally useless, I had to buy some petrol pipe jubilee clips to successfully hold the pipes in place, losing most of the brake fluid in the process.
It’s still leaking, but only slowly, luckily I had not put the carpets down as I had noticed a slow drop in fluid level over about 2 months, took the gear box cover off again and put my finger under the pipe connected to the BMC and yes brake fluid, I never overtighten jubilee clips after a previous problem with a leaky petrol pipe, so I tightened it slightly, still weeping, several more tightening’s and it is very tight, still leaking.

The sales of goods act says something along the lines of, “Goods should be fit for purpose, i.e that they are capable of carrying out the purpose for what they were designed to do”

Would I be within my rights to send it back and ask for a refund?? or pay extra, less original cost for a better one?
I assume they would say, “well no one else has complained”

How many of you out there have had these problems? In fact I’ll start a new thread, “ how many people have had leak problems with plastic pipe brake header tanks
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How many of you have had leak problems with plastic pipe brake header tanks, thanks

Post by simmitc »

Yes, I had the problem. I purchased a tank with a compression fitting and ran the entire pipe in proper Kunifer brake pipe. I think that all the kits should be provided like that; plastic is not a good medium.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: How many of you have had leak problems with plastic pipe brake header tanks, thanks

Post by philthehill »

I have a hydraulic clutch remote header reservoir which is part connected to the clutch master cylinder by a rubber pipe and is secured with small Jubilee clips and have never had a leak or weep.
If you have a problem fit one of Declan Burns remote reservoir pipe kits.
Phil

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

The plastic pipe "weeps" dot4 etc , and the only way to fix it cheaply is metal pipe , failing that you have to use Tygon 2375

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5&_sacat=0

John
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Site problems?
Can't edit so...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5&_sacat=0

John
jpallis001
Minor Friendly

Post by jpallis001 »

And I thought it was just me! I
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Yep ... I got a weepy pipe, Kit purchased from one of the major suppliers. Tygon2375 looks like a fix, Thanks
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Checked mine today , you guessed it , it's got a slight weep and not even on the road yet