Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Gearlever, selection

Post by Nickol »

I have a very bad habit when changing gear from 2nd to 3rd to try to put it backinto first gear which results of course in a horrible and embarassing crunching sound.

I was wondering whether the gear lever mechanism in its original form had some sort of pressure spring that automatically or rather assisted in letting the gear lever go "right" when moving out of second gear? Does or did such a spring exist?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: Gearlever, selection

Post by Nickol »

I should have mentioned that my Traveller is a 1098 version from 68
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Just take longer in changing from 2nd to 3rd and be positive in your movement of the gear lever.
The gear lever should fall naturally into neutral between gears.
I am not aware that there is a spring to assist in helping the gear lever to go right.
The springs fitted are for other purposes i.e. anti-rattle.
That is the beauty of having a gate change on a Ferrari - only positive movements can be made. :wink:

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Thankyou Phil - and if you are not aware of such then I shall take it such spring assistance never did exist.
Yes, the gears do naturally go into neutral and yes you need to develop a technique to push the lever away from you ( I am LHD remember) I try with just fingers and thumb but sometimes get it wrong :cry:
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

You might find using the palm to push the gearstick in changing gear helps. Use an upward or downward movement and at the same time a slight sideways push works well. Good for racing changes too.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I don’t think any box had springs until the advent of 5 speed boxes except, perhaps, for avoiding reverse gear. Drivers were accustomed to using what was supplied and did not need extra gadgets to help (or hinder) them.

One could add a spring, hooked on/around the lever and secured at some suitable position to keep the lever to one side of the gate, if one really needed the help. I wouldn’t bother - I’ve driven lots of 3 forward and reverse vehicles and avoided selecting reverse from a forward gear while in motion. The tractor in my screen name has three gears on one side of the gate with reverse and top on the other. Bottom gear, IIRC, is the middle one of the three.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If you want real gear changing try driving an old Lea Francis car, with crash gearbox (no sychro), with gate change gear lever between driver and O/S door and accelerator between clutch and brake peddles. Oh joy. :wink:

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I did used to drive an old army lorry with crash gearbox but that was many years ago. Nowadays I am not into a challenge - just keeping the car going is challenge enough. My Austin 8 of 1947 vintage is also a bit of a challenge not least due to it jumping out of first gear on steep climbs.

No, carry on as before and thanks for the tips everyone
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

simply ,........when changing from ,first to second twist wrist so palm of hand is on right side of knob ,weight of hand holds lever automatically over in line with second.
second to third place palm of hand on left hand side of gear knob and weight of hand automatically drops lever over the gate towards third ,similarly third to top holds lever in line .,
going the other way palm of hand on the left hand side of the knob the weight of hand holds lever in line with top to third, third to second twist wrist so palm of hand is on right side of knob to push lever over in line with second.
second to first.......unlikely ever to need to but palm on right side .
If you just grab hold of the gear knob with palm on top you will always need to move lever consciously over the gate in each direction.
be grateful that you don't need to double de clutch as well( ah the good old days eh)
just seen lhd but same principal just work out where palm of hand goes to automatically drop/push the lever across the gate/neutral.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Thankyou Kennet for taking the troubler to comment. I am getting used to conciously moving the stick towards the right when changing up when it goes into neutral. I think though, you oversaw that I am LHD so the palm movement with theright hand is a bit of a contortion ( spelling??)
The theme is only a minor point - that no spring exists is not a major problem - I was just interested to know.