Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil filter rubber

Post by quee2646 »

Hi,

Just changed my oil & filter element and realised there was no rubber ring fitted. I have replaced the new element in its housing without the new rings which came with the new element (partly because I could't work out how they fitted in place).

Are they necessary? and if so, how do they fit? Incidentally, I never need to top up the engine oil... No leaks.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Oil filter rubber

Post by myoldjalopy »

Are you sure the old rubber ring was not still in situ up in the filter 'head'? They usually only come out with a bit of pursuasion (like digging out with a small screwdriver or even a compass point). I would expect leaks if the ring was absent. I'd leave alone for now if no leaks but double check next time you change the filter. The ring sits in a groove in the 'head' and can be a bit of a fiddle to insert but a bit of grease helps keep it in place as you screw the canister back up. Only one is required.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

As above, really. If it doesn't leak, the old seal is guaranteed to still be there, as without it, the oil would pour out as soon as you started the engine :wink: . I can vouch for that having fitted a seal that popped out without me noticing once! The seals are hard to see in the groove in the filter assembly head, and can be a real pain to remove. Despite being virtually invisible, it will be in there though. Something like an electrical screwdriver is handy for getting them out. As you've seen, they are reusable, but you'd be best off replacing it next time you change the oil and filter!

When you do fit the new seal next time, use the one that is the same thickness as the one you remove - they supply different ones for different applications so you don't need to fit all of them :-)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

I knew someone who tried to fit a new sealing ring without first removing the old one. That did not work out too well, either.

RAB
quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

That's what I almost did! I'll assume the old one is snug then, and leave till next year.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Cue for fitting a spin on/off type filter/filter head.
No problems as to whether the filter head seal is fitted or not as the seal is attached to the filter.
The filter can be primed before fitting so reducing the time from start up to full oil pressure.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... er-p830101