Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Front brake stuck!

Post by quee2646 »

Hello - I've taken my front left wheel off after I discovered it was binding slightly. With both adjusters undone, it's still binding - the LH adjuster was practically undone anyway.

I pumped the brake pedal a few times - the RH cylinder protracted, but not the left; in fact, it seems to be stuck almost, but not fully, closed. I unscrew the bleed nipple to see if that would do anything - but no.

I hope this makes sense. Is this a seized cylinder (as far as I can tell, they are less than a decade old)? or something else?

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Front brake stuck!

Post by philthehill »

What you described is either a lazy wheel cylinder or a seized cylinder.
I personally would not bother trying to free the wheel cylinder piston but replace the wheel cylinder in question with a good quality original manufacture/OE type.
Unless the brake wheel/master cylinder is exercised on a regular basis they are prone to sticking and/or seizure.
Having the brakes too well adjusted does not help.
Let the adjuster off sufficiently to enable the brake drum to rotate without rubbing on the brake shoes. You may get a little more pedal travel but the wheel cylinders will get exercised so reducing the possibility of the wheel cylinder or master cylinder sticking and/or seizing.
Phil

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

I thought that might be the case. I'll order a new cylinder. Anything a rookie should know?!

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Give the brake pipe union nuts and the bolts securing the cylinder a good soak in plus gas release agent well before attempting to remove the items.

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Will do!
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

If this were my car I would be replacing all 4 cylinders. If 1 cylinder has failed the others won’t be far behind.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Looks like all the others (except perhaps one on the front right) are relatively new.

I will however replace the old flexible hose whilst I am at it. Are the front/rear hoses the same?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Looking at the part numbers the hoses (Pt No 17H7719 (3/8" BSF)) will fit both front and rear up to car no: 228266. From car no: 228267 the front brake hose is Pt No: GBH108.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html