Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Trouble with nipples!

Post by alanworland »

I was doing a routine grease up using my new Draper connector on my flexible hose grease gun as my origal leaked badly, first grease point, it went in ok but then I couldn't remove the connector from the grease nipple!
I ended up unscrewing the nipple with my grease gun attached and dismantling the connector to release it.
The nipples in question are of the 'angled' variety and the actual plug on part that the connector fits has a hexagon just below the rounded clip on part and I found that it was this hex part that prevented the gun being rocked off.
Bought some new straight grease nipples that have plenty of clearance under the rounded part enabling the grease gun to be removed.
Much better!

Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Trouble with nipples!

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I think that grease guns come with imperial and metric connectors, if so that may be your problem

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I personally would not go directly to blaming the grease nipple.
I would suggest that the new Draper end may be the problem when used with the angled grease nipples fitted.

My Wanner grease gun handles angled and straight grease nipples with ease and has been used to lubricate all sorts of equipment when fitted with all shapes and sizes of grease nipples.

Sometimes the grease gun end will not release because the pressure in the pipe cannot be released - it is normal that the more pressure in the pipe the more the grease nipple is gripped. Pressure in the pipe may be held because of a blocked nipple or grease route.

As above - a search on 'e' bay makes the point as regards the different types of nipple and grease nipple connector.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-GREASE-G ... SwoudW987n

See also the link below regarding types of nipple connector:-

https://saeproducts.com/grease-fitting-coupler.html
Phil

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

The Draper connector I have is a 'heavy duty' type, whatever that means and works well with no leaks but would appear to need more angled movement to release it.
I would have hoped they should meet a standard specification to work properly?
Metric/imperial grease nipples/connectors?

Alan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having examined a good selection of grease nipples I found that there is a considerable variance in the undercut below the grease nipple head.
Some have very little depth/height of undercut while others have substantial undercut depth/height which would allow the grease gun union head to be easily articulated so allowing the easy detachment from the nipple.

Therefore I would suggest that only grease nipples with adequate undercut below the grease nipple head are utilised.

There was a British Standard for grease nipples:-

https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail ... 0000068050

But that has lapsed so possibly now a free for all.

Phil

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

so we had british standard nipples but now to keep up with the trend for augumentation we now have odd sized nipples

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I would suggest we also have a variation in connector's, so the two together could make for a bit of a hit and miss result!

Alan
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

BSI may have given up on Nipples, but there is a German Standard, DIN 71412.
DIN stands for "Deutsches Institut für Normung", meaning "German Institute for Standardisation". So like BSI but more Teutonic. :)

https://www.ashtonseals.co.uk/lubricati ... se-nipples

Seems there is not an international 'Standard'. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

geoberni
Thank you for the cross reference.
Looking at the DIN and related data I cannot see a dimension or ratio for the waisting below the grease nipple head.
Plenty of other data relating to grease nipples but not that one.
No doubt it is there but have currently been unable to find it. Any pointers anyone????
Perhaps its omission if it is an omission has resulted in the various dimensions of waisting I have found below the grease nipple head.
Phil