Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

hand brake attachment to brake shoe lever

Post by acmsb »

Hi all

I've got a 1969 Morris Traveller and am overhauling the brakes. I'm doing the back ones at the moment, and would like to strip them down, replace brake shoes etc.

I'm just struggling to understand how the handbrake cable is attached to the brake shoe actuating lever. I couldn't find an explanation in the manual - is anyone able to provide one? All advice greatly appreciated!

Alex
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: hand brake attachment to brake shoe lever

Post by RobThomas »

Forked end to the handbrake cable. Fork fits either side of handbrake lever and clevis pin + splitpin keeps them together.

Hard to find good pic. Image 2 is not far off... http://www.mgccyregister.co.uk/technica ... nd-brakes/
Cardiff, UK
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi Rob

Thank you - that's really helpful. I will blow up the picture and examine carefully. Both of mine seem to be so covered in rust and dirt that it's hard to even see what they look like - so it's good to know what i'm looking for!

Have a good weekend

Alex
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Alex
Another image for you
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html
140 Hand brake cable , 145 Clevis pin and 146 split pin.

The wheel cylinder lever goes through the back plate and emerges " inboard " on the rear back plate on the axle. Attachment made and the metal work is covered by a rubber boot. Grease the clevis pin and split pin( to stop it seizing up ) having given the metal work a clean up with a wire brush. Spray with Meths and wipe off the dirt with a rag / paper towel.
Adjust the individual rear brakes first , after overhaul and last thing adjust the hand brake cable , inside the car by the handbrake lever. Slacken off the cable adjustment nuts before you sort the two rear wheels so you get it right. A wipe of grease on the exposed wire cables , when they are exposed wouldn't go amiss whilst you under there. Will keep everything moving freely and protected from road spray , salt , etc.
Bob