Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

How noisy?

Post by stag36587 »

I had a fabulous run to the National Rally today. Great atmosphere and some superb cars and I came back thinking I need to improve my paint finish. But, more of a priority is to understand and sort the excessive whine/rasp when decelerating from 3rd and 2nd gears. Trouble is I’m not quite sure what normal should be but I’m pretty sure mine isn’t quite right. Hoping some of you guys might give me some pointer some to what is normal or not and what to do to fix it. Many thanks
]
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How noisy?

Post by myoldjalopy »

Gearbox whine is very common on Minors - and they are famous for the iconic exhaust rasp/trumpet/fart/burble sound when decelerating....some are louder/raspier than others. If the car is running well and the noises have not appeared recently I wouldn't worry about it.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How noisy?

Post by palacebear »

I agree with myoldjalopy's comments. Unless there are new noises that weren't previously present, you've probably nothing to worry about.

Don't forget that sound-deadening materials weren't part of the Minor's spec. They can sound much noisier from inside than from outside!

Not knowing which type/age Minor you drive, all I can add is that my Series 2 with 803 type gearbox sounds worryingly noisy from inside but, aside from the inevitable exhaust 'trumpet' on over-run, sounds fairly civilized from outside so long as it's driven within its limits! 😊
1956 4-door called Max