Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tootall
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mayonnaise

Post by Tootall »

UPDATE:

Sent the distributor to Aldon, who stripped and cleaned it, before sending it back.

It was partly seized inside, as water had crept in through capillary action, from the water in the sump.

Refitted dizzy, gambled on red wire to +ve on coil and black to -ve (as I'd cleverly managed to not make a note of which went where, before taking it off...)

Fired first turn. Timing may still be way off but the dizzy was definitely the problem.

I'll have to get it up to Southam Minis and have a go on the rolling road - after I've run a couple of sumps full of fresh oil through the poor old girl.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Will also likely pull the engine out sooner rather than later, to try and make sure there's no further damage lurking, because of the huge amounts of emulsion, plus general sitting about and lack of use...
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mayonnaise

Post by myoldjalopy »

The wiring of the coil depends on the polarity of your car. If it is +ive earth then the +ive/CB terminal on the coil goes to the dizzy - and vice-versa if it is -ive earth...........