Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Sticking in first gear

Post by GavinL »

I've started having a problem with my 1275 Midget, and thought it would be OK to share it here, as the engine / gearbox are virtually identical to the Minor, so may also be experienced by Minor owners. A couple of times recently, when pulling away in first, I've gone to change up and it has been stuck in first. I've pulled over with the clutch in, and after a couple of yanks on the gear lever have managed to get it into neutral. Clutch is fine ( no problems changing any of the other gears and no crunching between gears). I probably don't want to know, but is this an omen - is this a warning of imminent failure of the first gear bearings?

I should add that the gearbox has always had a propensity to pop out of 2nd on overrun, which I understood is probably worn synchromesh on that gear. I assume this is not related?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Sticking in first gear

Post by ianmack »

I’ve heard of this before and it was caused by excessive end float in the gearbox shafts which interfered with the working of the interlock mechanism. This is only properly cured by a gearbox overhaul but if it jumps second it is probably due anyway.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Sticking in first gear

Post by philthehill »

Remove and overhaul the gearbox before more serious problems are allowed to occur.