Aluminium Rocker Box

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Barry42
MMOC Member: No

Aluminium Rocker Box

Post by Barry42 »

Has anyone fitted an aluminium rocker box cover? I spent ages fitting one from a well known Morris Minor supplier! I had to grind down the front and rear gasket flange as well as the rear of the cover as it fowled the heater water valve. I also had to grind the heater water valve before I could fit the new cover.
Attachments
valve04.JPG
valve04.JPG (714.42 KiB) Viewed 678 times
rocker04.JPG
rocker04.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 678 times
rocker02.JPG
rocker02.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 678 times
Chipper
Minor Addict

Re: Aluminium Rocker Box

Post by Chipper »

I did fit a very similar one to my Traveller, but that has a 1275cc MG Midget engine with no heater valve (Metro type head):

https://flic.kr/p/Y23Tb9

IIRC, I bought it off E-bay for around £20.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The gasket flanges of the majority of alloy rocker cover are much wider than the flange found on the steel production cover therefore it is normal to relieve a little of the alloy rocker cover front gasket flange to enable it to fit around the thermostat housing when fitting to a small bore head.
Again at the rear of the rocker cover the gasket flange will have to be relieved to fit around the heater tap flange.
As regards fouling the rear end of the rocker cover - alloy rocker covers tend to be more vertical sided so there is greater chance of the heater tap fouling so having to relieve the rear of the cover does not surprise me.
To provide clearance a angled adapter can be easily made to turn the large end of the heater tap away from the rocker cover.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46838&p=447124&hili ... ap#p447124

Two of these:-
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/base-plat ... soc=136597
Plus a twin 3/8" BSP connector to go between which can be obtained from any good plumbers merchant.

If a 940 head with 10 studs and one bolt is used again the alloy rocker cover flange has to be notched to fit around the front bolt and rear stud.

Barry42

Post by Barry42 »

Thank you for your answer. That's exactly what I had to do. Plus I had to grind a proportion of the heater valve away as well. All fitted and looks great!