Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

gear selection

Post by cococola »

well I went out today and did about 40 miles, during the journey my gear selection got harder to the point that I have to really pull into gear.
Im wondering if I have a hydraulic problem or if my clutch has suddenly got worse on my journey. I have very little travel in my pedal before biting point.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: gear selection

Post by Chipper »

Indeed, it sounds as though your clutch isn't operating much. Is yours hydraulically operated? If not, the standard mechanical setup is adjustable, up to a point (assuming the clutch plate and/or release bearing aren't too badly worn).

If yours is a 1098cc/ribbed case gearbox, you can look into the bellhousing via the inspection hatch (you may need to remove a rubber cover) to check the condition of the release bearing...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Hello Maurice
I checked further today and the lock nut that keeps the adjustment looks as though it has worked loose over a period of time. I have readjusted the clutch and although the pedal doesnt have so much travel as I would like, I do have my clutch back again.
Out of intrest by removing the rubber grommet, can I also see the clutch plate aswell?
I have a brand new clutch ready if I need to replace it.
many thanks
Alan
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

You won't be able to see much of the clutch plate, since it is mostly hidden under the cover (pressure plate), but you may be able to see just enough (using a bright torch through the inspection hatch) to determine whether it's badly worn...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

I will have a look tomorrow, many thanks for advice. :)