Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Darren.
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Marina carbs/exhaust etc

Post by Darren. »

Hi all
Ive got myself a marina 1275 engine and im wanting to collect all the bits required but this has thrown me into a quandery as to which way to go foreward.

So farr I have the engine but im going to partiall strip it to check the condition of the valves,crank bearings etc etc. I have the minor front plate and an adapted back plate to fit the minor gearbox. The flywheel is a minor item but machined to suite.
I dont see the minor starter motor will be a problem ?
Do I use the minor engine rubbers ?
I can not think of anything else that I will need concerning the engine fitment ?

I think the main thing that i cant quite get my head round is the carbs and exhaust side of things.I do know from using the search on here that there are topics covering this but there are conflictions.

Carbs:
The engine will be a standard setup but i might DIY port match (not made my mind on that one yet)
Re the carbs im thinking of HIF 44 or HS4. what are the real world differences between these re perforemance and maintainance because the HS4 is much cheaper than the HIF.

Exhaust:
Bearing in mind the above setup and larger bore exhaust

1: combined manifold. Which is the best one in reguards to perforemance and being able to connect up carbs and exhaust without modiffications.(part number please)

2: I do realise that i can cut the inlet part off and use the marina downpipe that is available.

3:Will the LCB gain me much over the above or is this a wast of money for power gained.

Thanks for your time in advance but i do want to get this right first time and not fitt something that later i wish to change.

Please bear in mind that im being cash concervative and do not want to spend over the top for verry little gain :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Marina carbs/exhaust etc

Post by philthehill »

Make sure that you have the correct first motion shaft bearing fitted into the modified Minor flywheel. Use the search facility to find details.
Midget had problems with the first motion shaft bush and had to have one made. Again use search facility.
The Minor engine mounting rubbers can be used.
The Minor starter motor can be used without problems.
Make sure that the Marina engine mounting bracket holes are blind (not right through) if they are right through fit bolts to seal the holes.
Use a standard HS4 on a Marina inlet exhaust manifold with a ESM front conversion pipe.
For the money spent on a LCB you will not get a percentage increase in power.

Fitting everything that is standard Marina ensures that all is well first time.
BL have sorted the problems for you so you no need to reinvent the wheel.

Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Thanks very much for the reply as ussual Phill.

Is there any advantage in using a HIF carb. I do realise that it would require the correct needle and i would have to sort the manifolds to suite but is it worth it. I dont mind spending a few extra quid but i have my limits

P.s what needle does the marina use for the HS4 and what is the Marina combined manifold part number. Ive tried looking on the bay for one of these for a while but it appears they are like hens teeth do get hold off :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To be honest I would use the HS4 fitted with the normal jet. The Marina HS4 is normally fitted with the wax stat jet assy.

The Marina 1275cc uses needle AAZ.

The manifold required is part No: 12G3538 which is cast onto the manifold.
It can be used with the HS4 or HIF 6 carbs
See picture below:-
Marina manifold 1.jpg
Marina manifold 1.jpg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

This might be an appropriate moment, if Darren doesn't mind me butting in, to ask if there is any point in retaining the Ital twin outlet cast manifold, I've got one of these, with the inlet part removed, intending to utilise a Metro alloy inlet with it but I'm now having suspicions, due to the need for a twin connecting pipe and then limited improvement, that this is not worthwhile. It would be nice to hear other views.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Unfortunately the twin down pipe is not available and I am not sure if it is available anywhere else even in mild steel.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... le-p830057

The Ital inlet/exhaust manifold with the twin outlets for the exhaust would be a good modification if being used with a large overlap camshaft but as the camshaft fitted to the 1275cc Ital/Marina/Midget and Sprite is the same there is little point or little benefit in fitting the twin pipe manifold and twin front pipe assembly.
Vizard has carried out flow testing on the 12G3538 manifold and found it had very good flow and had excellent performance potential.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for your thoughts Phil. I haven't any plans regarding a different camshaft.

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

The 1.3 Ital’s with the twin branch manifold did sound lovely, admittedly might not sound the same in a Minor. For the hope of a lovely exhaust sound I’ve been on ESM’s ”Email me when in stock” list for over two years for the downpipes with no response.
Edit: Just checked my Emails, time flies it was August 2013.
Regards John
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Thanks again Phil. I will try and find the marina manifold and carb :wink:
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

ive recently gone down this route. I purchased the above manifold and have a HIF 44 carb. I have had a SS exhaust custom made to the original design, but 42mm o/d. (so big bore if you like).

currently started rebuilding a 1098 (well started and then life gets in the way) and am planning on fitting all this over the winter.
Darren.
Minor Friendly

Post by Darren. »

Re the HS4 Carb.

Phill are you sugesting using the hs4 with waxstat or without the waxstat.
Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The standard Marina SU has a wax-stat controlled jet as standard.
I would suggest that the wax-stat jet is changed for a normal jet set up as per the HS2 SU carb.
Conversion kits are readily available on 'e' bay.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

im trying to find an exhaust clamp to fit the above manifold 12G 3538 but am getting now where fast.

Phil?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The BL part number for the exhaust clamp that connects to the 12G3538 manifold is Pt No: GEX7284.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEX7284-Exha ... :rk:1:pf:0

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The same manifold was fitted to Minis too, plenty of them around. I had one fitted to my traveller for a while.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Panky

Still the same BL part number required I am afraid.

There are clamps advertised on 'e' bay for Minis but they do not give the correct part number or size.

It might be worth purchasing a clamp and trying it for size - but that is a gamble that you may have to undertake a couple of times to get the right one.

Whilst the various manifolds fitted to the Mini look the same the outlet pipes have different internal/external diameters and the 12G3538 is the largest.
The 12G787, 12G338 and 12G1141 manifolds have smaller outlet pipes.

Phil

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

correct Phil, hence why its not easy to fit a manifold clamp for the larger outlet one, the 12G3538.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst the correct clamp in the link above is expensive if you do not have a clamp and are finding it difficult to source one it then becomes cheap.
Sometimes you have to pay a price to get what you want.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

What is the difference in internal diameter between the 12G3538, 12G787 and the standard minor exhaust manifold? at the present time I have a 12G940 head with a HIF38 carburettor on a alloy inlet, I have the standard minor exhaust manifold with a standard exhaust. Would it be worth fitting a larger manifold ad exhaust?

Thanks, Paul
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote
Sometimes you have to pay a price to get what you want
[/quote]
That's what I'm finding, looking for a Midget crank. I wish you hadn't mentioned the issues with the Marina crank fillets Phil !! :D