Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Marina carbs/exhaust etc

Post by philthehill »

Paul
Vizard gives the Marina 1275cc 12G3538 manifold a good report so it should not be discounted if looking for a performance benefit at a reasonable price. To get those benefits you will need to fit the larger diameter ESM Marina/Minor exhaust.
As regards the internal diameters - having sold my 12G3538 manifold and not having a standard one piece Minor manifold I unfortunately cannot give you a precise measurement other than saying the 12G3538 has the largest internal diameter of the lot..

Les
I would have the Marina crankshaft crack tested or purchase a crack testing kit and go from there. I am certain it will be alright.
Supercharged engines are kinder on the crankshaft than normally asperated engines.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Thanks Phil
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Phil, thanks for your post, pleased to hear I could have an option. From previous enquiries I've been labouring under the impression the crank would be under extra strain.

silloyd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by silloyd »

I have a (cut down, i.e. inlet removed) 12G3538 manifold with an ESM large bore stainless downpipe and I use a 'GEX7790', which at the time of writing is £12 including postage.

I did have some challenges with seating the downpipe to the manifold, mostly I think due to the shape and inflexibility of the stainless downpipe, but the old 'copper wire' gasket trick plus a small dab of Firegum fixed that.

BTW, I have a separate alloy inlet with a HIF38 attached and a 12G940 head. The whole setup runs nicely and pulls well for a 1098.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

What is this trick?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

silloyd
Thank you for identifying a suitable clamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... :rk:1:pf:0

One of the problems with stainless its lack of mailability i.e. the inability to cold form to the profile of the manifold cone when compressed by the clamp as would normally happen with mild steel.

Phil

silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

ampwhu wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 am What is this trick?
  • Take some copper wire - a piece from a length of 2.5mm T&E cable stripped of its insulation is ideal but use whatever you have available
  • Form it into a circle that is slightly larger than the hole in the manifold and slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the bell end of the downpipe. (personally I wrapped it around twice to give a double copper layer)
  • Hold it in place between the two mating surfaces and clamp up - this is easier said than done because you need three pairs of hands and lots of patience as it takes very little to nudge the copper out of place when assembling :-? . That's where the Firegum comes in handy, it's quite tacky when liquid and acts like a glue to help hold the copper in place.
  • Use of Firegum also helps seal anything the copper doesn't but you only need a very small amount
End result should look something like this (clamp not shown):
Copper Wire.JPG
Copper Wire.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
The idea being that the relatively soft copper deforms to fill any gaps between the two hard surfaces.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Thank you. If a clamp doesn't turn up I'll give this a go and let you know.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Ok, for the gamble of £12, I've purchased the above one. I was watching that Phil lol.

Let you know when it arrives.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

12G3538 manifold.JPG
12G3538 manifold.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
here's the 12G3538 manifold

Carb side view.JPG
Carb side view.JPG (49.61 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
here's it fitted to the engine with a HIF38 carb. Engine is a 1098.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

GEX 7790 on manifold.JPG
GEX 7790 on manifold.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
GEX 7790 on manifold.JPG
GEX 7790 on manifold.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

this shows GEX7790 fits perfectly fine on the 12G3538 manifold.
Attachments
GEX7790 Clamp.JPG
GEX7790 Clamp.JPG (24 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Gex7790 on manifold2.JPG
Gex7790 on manifold2.JPG (29 KiB) Viewed 1421 times