Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
yellowpinky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

noisy clutch

Post by yellowpinky »

hi all,
I'm getting an intermittent noise when holding my clutch pedal down... it only occurs after the van has warmed up & I'm edging along in first gear while in slow moving traffic. the sound is continuous when the pedal is down but kind of undulating squeaks... does this sound familiar to anyone?

my mechanic said the thrust bearing is worn & not to worry about it... so I'm seeking second opinions... the clutch is a diaphram type & is ten years old with below average use...
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: noisy clutch

Post by philthehill »

As you have a diaphragm clutch you have possibly a 1275cc engine fitted or a Ford gearbox conversion fitted.
Can you please enlarge as to what engine/gearbox is/are fitted.

yellowpinky
Minor Friendly

Post by yellowpinky »

it's a 1275 engine, but a standard four speed gear box, thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for the updated information.
A further question regarding the engine is it a 1275cc Marina/Ital conversion or a 1275cc Midget/Sprite.
The Marina/Ital engine has the oil filter above and behind the distributer and the Midget has the oil filter positioned the same as the Minor.
Phil

yellowpinky
Minor Friendly

Post by yellowpinky »

hi Phil,

It is a midget/sprite engine

thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for the update.
I would suggest that you need to remove the engine or gearbox or both and strip the clutch and see what you find.
It may be the clutch centre plate has worn. They can wear even only having done a low mileage especially if you encounter traffic on a regular basis and are up and down through the gearbox.
Clutches are not like they used to be as regards long levity.
Whilst you have it apart examine and if necessary replace the carbon release bearing.
The problem may lie with the worn carbon thrust but you will still have to separate the engine and gearbox to replace so best to check all the clutch components while apart.
Photos of what you find would be appreciated.
Phil

yellowpinky
Minor Friendly

Post by yellowpinky »

ok, thanks Phil... when I get around to it I'll pop something on here, I'll try for photos, but I may not get a chance if I hand it over to my mechanic, as he'll just get on with it on his own ;)