Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine Rebuild

Post by pgp001 »

Not that I need a new engine just yet, the one in the Traveller is running just fine, but I have a spare engine that was bought with the car, and my plan was to slowly rebuild it over winter and maybe swap it into the car next spring and keep the one that comes out as a running spare.
That was until yesterday when I lifted the head off and discovered it is already bored to +60.

I have been quoted £350 plus VAT to have it sleeved back to standard, but that might not be all it needs once I get the crank out etc. I am thinking it could need line boring and all sorts of other stuff before it is up to scratch.
Does that sound like throwing good money after bad ? and should I just scrap it and look for a better one ?

Should I even be thinking of building my own engine, I do have plently of experience but am now starting to think it would be financially better to just buy a reconditioned one ready to fit.

Has anyone got first hand experience of buying a recon engine and what sort of money are we looking at spending ?

Thanks
Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine Rebuild

Post by philthehill »

What is wrong with having plus 0.060" bores?
If the bores are not scored or excessively worn I would leave well alone and use the engine as is.
Unless you have replaced one or more main bearing caps the need for line boring of the main bearings is a non requirement.
The main and big end bearings are shell bearings which do not require line boring.
What may be required is a crankshaft re-grind but until you strip the engine you will not know.

The cost of a replacement/recon engine would be in the region of £600 - £800 plus and exchange at that. Your plus 0.060" bores may not fit the bill as regards exchange.
With a replacement/recon engine do you know what you are getting? At least with a self build engine you can do it right put only the parts required into and on it and only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong.

I personally would strip the spare engine and see what is required before making a final decision.

Phil

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Sounds like good advice, I need to do a more detailed dimensional check on the existing +60 bores to see if they are still serviceable.
It might be just a light honong and some new rings is the order of the day.

How far over +60 would you say is acceptable wear, to be able to re-use them please.

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Run your nail up the bore and if it is stopped at the top ring ridge then you need to make a decision as whether to proceed or discard.

You can get a ridge cutter to remove the ridge but better if done at a machine shop.

If no ridge - hone the bores and fit new rings.

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

As has been said nothing wrong with +60 bores if they are serviceable.

Sleeved blocks are also good if done correctly, and almost a little harder wearing. Mine has been sleeeved back to standard.

Not sure where you are but I have a block thats currently standard, but needs boring, I have just not got around to throwing it in the metal skip yet.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Well I have just been having another more detailed look at the bores on my spare engine, I am checking them with a three point dial bore comparator to see how oval they are, as well as with a telescopic bore gauge and micrometer to check the actual dimensions.
They do look to be a couple of thou oval and about the same amount of taper top to bottom on the thrust side.
The unworn part where the rings never get to at the top measures 2.545" diameter, I have checked and double checked these dimensions just to make sure I am not doing something stupid.
According to the Haynes manual the standard bore is 2.478", so mine appears to be 0.067" oversize, and therefore probably scrap.

But hey hang on a minute................... I just googled Moggie bore sizes and it is a good job I did because the figures did not match at all.
Which idiot do you think was looking at the 948cc engine dimensions in the Haynes manual. :oops:

When I looked at the correct page, it turns out the standard bore is 2.543", so mine are in fact still standard and good for a +20 rebore after all.

What a relief :D

Phil