Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cv01jw
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Diff leaking?

Post by cv01jw »

After picking up my first Minor at the weekend I am ready for my first technical question. I was having a look underneath last night and noticed that the bottom of the diff casing has a lot of oil on it - it appears to be reasonably fresh and I am not sure if I have a leak or not - it does not appear to have dripped onto the floor though. I plan to clean it off tonight and then leave a sheet of card under it to see what happens.

Other than that, are there any other checks I can make? Below is a photo of the area in question - not sure if the shiny oil comes out well in the picture.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Diff leaking?

Post by philthehill »

There are only three places (discounting the breather) the oil can leak from and end up at the bottom of the diff/axle banjo housing.
They are:-

1.....The dif nose seal.

2.....The filler plug.

3......The drain plug.

Eliminate 2 & 3 and that leave the diff nose seal which is reasonably easy to replace.

I would advise that you check the diff oil level soonest.

As regards the breather - the oil does seem to be exiting the axle case around it.
Check that the breather is clear and the axle has not been over filled with EP90 oil..
Also check that the breather is screwed tight into the axle casing.
I have found that the replacement plastic (originally steel) breather is not a good fit into the axle casing.

cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Phil

Many thanks, I will clean the diff up and check the level tonight.

Just to clarify, can you confirm my understanding of the various points is correct (below)? The breather (as labelled) does have a little plastic cap on it which was loose.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

On my Midget that breather had a hose on it and ran up into the boot space. I guess it helps keep grit out and restricts oil splashes from coming out?
Cardiff, UK
cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Rob - that would make sense.

Although I had planned to check the levels tonight, it would appear I do not have a 7/16 (or an 11mm) key and so I will have to wait for the post before I can check.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

A 3/8" socket 'T' bar square should fit the filler and drain plug.
No need to buy anything.

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

Indeed, it appears to leaking from the breather. As said above, I would check the level is OK, and also pull off the breather cap and give it all a good clean in there, making sure it's securely pushed back on afterwards.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Phil - excellent tip many thanks - this forum is going to be invaluable for this kind of information :)

Chipper - thanks, I will clean it all up and ensure it fits back together afterwards.