Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fuel tank sender adjustment

Post by southerly95 »

After refurbishing my convertible fuel tank I fitted a new sender unit. I wasn’t sure how to adjust it so didn’t. When the fuel gauge is on empty then it really is and not sure where full is.
Is there a procedure for adjusting the float arm? Thanks, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel tank sender adjustment

Post by mogbob »

John
If you bought a new Morris Minor sender from a reputable Morris Minor supplier then it shouldn't need adjustment.
With the sender held horizontally the float arm will naturally fall to the lowest point. Conversely, if the arm is lifted
it will reach a "stop point ". The only " adjustment " is bending the float arm up or down so that the float operates the sender at the point where a full tank of fuel raises the float sufficiently.
If there is no obvious signs of rough , previous adjustment … just fit it.

Disconnect battery when fitting or adjusting the sender / float.
Bob
southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Thanks for reply, the sender came from ESM so should be ok. Based on what you’re saying it’s doing it’s job ok but I would like to have a bit more left when on empty, I’ll adjust it trial and error, thanks again, regards, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You can adjust it all you like but you'll still only get the same volume of fuel into the tank and you'll still have the same range.
If the gauge reads empty when the tank is empty I would say that is what it is supposed to do. Mine does the same. And it reads full when it is full. Just refill the tank before the gauge gets down to empty. Simple really :wink:

Compared to a modern car, the Minor has a small tank and a small range, so you have to visit the petrol station more frequently IF you're doing the same mileage. Most Minor owners probably don't cover a very high mileage.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Mine shows 'empty' when there is still a good gallon left in the tank - and reads 'full' for the first 70 miles! But it is a SII sender in a 6 gallon tank and I did bend the sender arm a bit but maybe not quite enough. However I prefer that than literally running out of fuel just as the needle shows 'empty'.