Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cv01jw
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil Filter

Post by cv01jw »

Morning All

I did my first ever oil change last night and it all went well. I also changed the oil filter, remembering advice written on here to carefully check how it fits together as I took it apart, so that I could reassemble it properly. The oil was changed, I took the car for a short (5 mile) run and checked for leaks and it all looks good with no sign of escaping oil.

However, once home I did a bit of digging online and found this diagram from Moss:

I note that my filter housing did not contain the washer / seal / clip numbered 126, 127 and 128 on the diagram. All other components were there and reassembled correctly. Will I have problems with these parts being missing? If so, do I need to buy them and fit them ASAP - which would mean changing the oil again?

Thanks in advance

James
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil Filter

Post by philthehill »

Whilst it is important that the missing parts are replaced it is not going to do any damage if not replaced immediately.
If you do not have the large flat plate (No: 127) the filter is ineffective as it is not held up against the filter head. So it is important that the plate is replaced soonest.
The plate and washers can be replaced without replacing the oil in the sump. All you will loose is the oil in the filter bowl.
Personally I would fit the screw on filter kit as you do not then have all those parts to worry about and you can prime the filter with oil before starting the engine.

cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Thanks Phil, I will contact ESM to source replacements and keep them safe until the next change.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Hello James,

It is not uncommon for the plate to stick to the old filter and get thrown away by accident. If you still have the old filter it’s worth a look.

Ian
cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Sorry, I have caused some confusion by noting the wrong numbers in my first post.

I have the plate and the spring and have refitted these, what I am missing are:
- the small washers/seals which fit between the spring and the plate
- the clip which fits between the plate and the filter

My OP should have read I am missing parts 126, 128 and 129.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Even better
Whilst having the washers, seals and clip is good I would not be dying in a ditch if they were were missing.
Phil