Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
soilman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

timing 803 1954 series 2

Post by soilman »

Hi, can I remove the distributor without effecting the timing?
If I need to advance or retard, I can do this by turning the distributor, but also there is a option to turn the knob on the dizzy also? when would you choose one over the over?
Is static timing satifactory then road testing to get satifactroy running?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: timing 803 1954 series 2

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, you can remove the dizzy without upsetting the timing if the bolt which passes through the split clamp at the base of the dizzy is left undisturbed. Just remove the two bolts which secure the dizzy to the engine block and it will come out with the split clamp still attached. Do not turn the engine over when you have the dizzy out and you will be able to slot it back in and all will be as it was.

If you do want to adjust the timing, you can twist the dizzy (bolted back in the block) after loosening the split clamp bolt. Then you can use the micrometer control, if necessary, to fine tune when road testing. If you are going to do all this, it may be best to set the micrometer at its half-way point before twiddling the dizzy to and fro to get the initial setting.You then have equal opportunity to advance or retard the ignition with the micrometer as required.

But if your timing is pretty close already you may not need to twist the dizzy and the micrometer may be all that is required.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

Soilman,

Be sure to read through this regarding your 803cc engine-very important!!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63859&p=597914&hili ... an#p597914

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
soilman
Minor Friendly

Post by soilman »

Thanks for that gents,

So if I find TDC on any of the cylinders using a TDC gauge then the points should just be opening?
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

For my understanding there is only one TDC and that is when piston nr 1 is at the top of its travel but only on the compression (firing) stroke. At this point the front pulley marking should line up with the pointer and the rotor arm in the distributer will be pointing towards the connection to cylinder nr 1. The points opening will be dependant on this.

Now I am just a keen amateur. Hopefully the real experts hier on the forum can confirm or otherwise my comment.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All cylinders have a Top Dead Centre (TDC).
An engine (with coil ignition) can be ignition timed on any cylinder so long as the piston is at or around TDC on the compression stroke and you have an indication of where TDC (for the cylinder being timed) is during crankshaft rotation.
TDC for ignition is marked on the crankshaft pulley (Minor) or flywheel (Mini).
The majority of engines especially the 'A' Series are ignition timed at or around TDC on No: 1 cylinder during the compression stroke. The nick or mark on the engine Minor crankshaft pulley indicates TDC on No: 1 and No: 4 cylinder (not necessarily ignition timing), also the flywheel is marked 1/4 to indicate TDC on No: 1 and No: 4 cylinder so that there is no excuse in fitting the flywheel to the crankshaft with the 1/4 marks indicating TDC on No: 2 and No: 3 cylinders which may unbalance the engine.

soilman
Minor Friendly

Post by soilman »

Hi all thanks for your replies, great help.
soilman
Minor Friendly

Post by soilman »

Does anybody know the distance the piston should be before TDC when the points open?

regards Soilman
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Try 3/16" before TDC and then rotate the distributer to suit the engine.

soilman
Minor Friendly

Post by soilman »