Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggalot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1275 Gearbox rebuild

Post by moggalot »

I am currently trying to rebuild a 1275 Midget gearbox. I have previously successfully rebuilt several 1098's and a few 948's. The 3rd motion shaft, however, is of different construction to the Minor boxes. I am stuck with the remaining parts as shown in the photo - which don't want to budge. I am coming to the conclusion that the disc between the 2nd and 3rd speed is fixed to the shaft. Is this right. Also, are there any other spring loaded plungers holding the gears on (I'm thinking probably 'yes').
With the Minor gearbox, the last thing to come off is the bearing with the use of a hollow drift. With this one, however, it looks like you have to take off the bearing so you can get to the spring pins to remove the 3rd speed gear? I tried some heat but couldn't shift the bearing.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3931.jpeg
IMG_3931.jpeg (675.5 KiB) Viewed 748 times

les
Minor Maniac

Re: 1275 Gearbox rebuild

Post by les »

The bearing with the circling should pull off, and so should the splined centre. There is a baulk ring between it and the cogwheel. The disc is fixed.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The attached file is an extract from the BMC Parts List for the 1275 gearbox, showing the components of the various shafts.
1275 Gearbox Mainshaft Details.jpg
1275 Gearbox Mainshaft Details.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Item 26 is the gear on your 3rd motion shaft, and item 32 is the 1st/2nd speed synchroniser assembly (the splined hub in your picture is part of this assembly).
Richard

moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

OK thanks to both for that info, I'll have another go at the weekend