Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear Hub End Float

Post by pgp001 »

I have just discovered that I have a smal amount of end float on my nearside hub on the 1969 Traveller. It makes a small clunk when you rock the car.

I have not got any further than jacking it up and giving it a tug in and out, has anyone got any ideas what might be causing the end play before I strip it all down. It does not feel like the bearing has gone, but I have ordered new bearing and seal kits just in case.

Thanks
Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear Hub End Float

Post by philthehill »

End float of the hub is caused by wear in the bearings.
Before replacing the bearings make sure that the hub nut is tight. There is no factory torque figure given but the nut needs to be tight but not brutally tight.
Make sure that the hub gasket is not too thick as the thickness of the gasket material can have an effect on the clamping forces required to hold the bearing stationary in the hub.
Use the search facility to read more regarding clamping of the hub bearing.

Rocking of the wheel can be a system of the bearing being worn and the splines of the half-shaft where they fit into the diff being also worn.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

All sorted.

Someone had put two thick gaskets between the hub and half shaft which added up to 0.032" thick.
The standard gasket that came with the new kits is 0.006" thick, so I had an unwanted end float of 0.026".

Anyway I have fitted the new bearing and seals etc and all is well again.

Phil
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

im far from an expert, but I don't buy this.

ive had cork halfshaft seals on the car for 10 years and have never had any issue. the last time I changed the hub, was because of this very reason, end float. it turned out to be a sloppy bearing in the hub. I changed the hub/bearing, added the cork halfshaft seal, and it hasn't leaked since.

I think the sloppy bearing was where it had seized through sitting idle for years and someone dragged the car with a seized rear wheel (like when I bought the car after it has sat under a tree for 30 years).

so like I said. no expert, but that's what I found.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Not really sure what you mean when you say you don't buy it.

All I can do is report what I found and the measurements taken, are you saying you think I made it all up ?

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Setting the rear hub bearing clamping force is described in BMC wksp man Section HH2.

Having the incorrect thickness half-shaft gasket can and does effect the clamping forces acting on the rear hub bearing.

If the half-shaft gasket is too thick the clamping forces acting on the rear wheel bearing is reduced and if the gasket is excessively thick can and will allow the bearing to move laterally (float) in the hub.

The inner race of the hub bearing is clamped/secured by the hub nut and the outer race clamped/secured by the hub bearing housing and the half-shaft.

Wear between the hub and the bearing can be caused by not having the bearing sufficiently clamped so allowing the bearing outer race to rotate in the hub leading to wear of the outer face and the bearing contact face(s) of the hub which can only be rectified by replacing either/both the hub and the bearing.

Whilst cork gaskets may work the correct thickness paper gasket should be used. The correct paper gasket thickness can be determined by using section HH2.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Phil
Thanks for the good explanation.

I did in fact come into the house and refer to that manual once I had everything stripped down and cleaned off just to double check the clearance measurement, mine was bang on the upper limit with the .006" gasket fitted.

It it fairly basic engineering, and I don't see how anyone cannot understand it. Maybe they should leave it to people who can. :D
ampwhu seems to be talking about two different problems, ie "end float" and "oil leakage"
Phil
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

So... I just happen to be looking at my spare axle and discovered it has grooved hubs enabling the use of the o ring, it also has a thin gasket fitted. Would this be correct? I can see why a gasket should be fitted ... To preserve clamping forces on the bearing.... But I wonder if the o ring hub is machined to allow assembly without a gasket? Thoughts please....
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The neoprene 'O' ring was introduced to provide additional sealing between the hub and half-shaft contact faces.

In addition to the 'O' ring the paper gasket is still required to be fitted between the half-shaft and hub contact faces .

See Wksp Manual Section: HH10 and Fig. HH12 for details.

shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Thanks Phil.