Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LRV745
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1966 Traveller

Post by LRV745 »

Hello All,
Can anyone help me, I have a 1966 Traveller with a 1098cc engine of which when warm blows out 1.50 litres of water, and
there is a rumbling sound. When I bought the car it was not used for 5 years, the thermostat and housing was all full of solid
corrosion, of which I have renewed, also new water pump and radiator, but it still blows the water out after a 2 mile run.
I have had a water pressure test and that is o/k, there is no water on the dip stick, also no steam out the exhaust.
So what can it be.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1966 Traveller

Post by simmitc »

I've moved this from "Cars for sale" to "Mechanical" as I'm guessing that you aren't trying to sell at present?

Does the rumbling sound mechanical as in main bearings, or is it water boiling? If the stat was full of gunge then the other water channels are probably blocked. You need to thoroughly flush the whole cooling system until water comes out clear. Use a good quality flushing agent and reverse flush with a hose. Renew all hoses as they may have deteriorated.

Also check compression - if there are any cracks or the head gasket has blown then the cooling system will be pressurised.

Lastly, from where is the water being blown out?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm with simmitc on this... where is it blowing out of?

As you've said there's no steam from the exhaust, I'm guessing you might be referring to it coming out of the radiator overflow pipe.
In which case, if this is after only 2 miles, it sounds to me like the whole water system is gunged up and it's boiling off because nothing is circulating.

You've gone to all the trouble of changing most of the water system, but no mention of actually trying to clean it out.

So follow the advice already given and give it a good clean.
Basil the 1955 series II

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Hoses off, core plugs out and blast the block waterways out. I once blew out a coreplug due to blockages. Once I'd blasted out all the silt, rust and gubbins the block it ran cooler for years. The sudden eruption is likely somewhat of a steamhammer effect
Good home offered for custom splittie
LRV745
Minor Friendly

Post by LRV745 »

simmitc wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm I've moved this from "Cars for sale" to "Mechanical" as I'm guessing that you aren't trying to sell at present?

Does the rumbling sound mechanical as in main bearings, or is it water boiling? If the stat was full of gunge then the other water channels are probably blocked. You need to thoroughly flush the whole cooling system until water comes out clear. Use a good quality flushing agent and reverse flush with a hose. Renew all hoses as they may have deteriorated.

Also check compression - if there are any cracks or the head gasket has blown then the cooling system will be pressurised.

Lastly, from where is the water being blown out?
There is good compression and it runs really well, I put the hose in where the heater control was and a load of milky water
came out at first, then it turned to clear water. I have renewed all the hoses and heater tap, When it boils up the water comes out the overflow pipe, Thanks for your advice.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

a load of milky water came out
Water + oil = milky emulsion.

I would remove the head, clean it out thoroughly and replace the head gasket, as it sound like there is a crossover between oil and water.

What is the oil pressure when cold and hot? Does the oil light come on when the engine is running - hot or cold?
Richard

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Yes, back in the late 80s I had a Datsun Bluebird that I had to change the head on because of milky water in the Rad.
Basically, the original heads had a fault where after a few years, the head became porous between the oil/water channels. The new head had different size waterways.
Oil pressure should always be far more than water pressure, so not unusual to only cross in 1 direction if it's only a small break in the head gasket. My Datsun would go a couple of hundred miles before the water got noticeably milky.

Sounds like you need to look at it PDQ before it gets any worse.

Must admit, I feel like you're not telling us the whole story here.
So at what point did you do this
I put the hose in where the heater control was and a load of milky water came out at first, then it turned to clear water.
Was that before or the same times as...
the thermostat and housing was all full of solid corrosion, of which I have renewed, also new water pump and radiator,
Or is a latter intervention?
It doesn't quite tie in with the description of
engine of which when warm blows out 1.50 litres of water
You've possibly got a water system blocked with hard gunk, and a leaking head gasket.
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Top up the rad. Start the car and run with the radiator cap removed. Let it get to normal temperature and look in the rad. Is water flowing freely and cleanly? Are there any bubbles showing?
LRV745
Minor Friendly

Post by LRV745 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:00 am Yes, back in the late 80s I had a Datsun Bluebird that I had to change the head on because of milky water in the Rad.
Basically, the original heads had a fault where after a few years, the head became porous between the oil/water channels. The new head had different size waterways.
Oil pressure should always be far more than water pressure, so not unusual to only cross in 1 direction if it's only a small break in the head gasket. My Datsun would go a couple of hundred miles before the water got noticeably milky.

Sounds like you need to look at it PDQ before it gets any worse.

Must admit, I feel like you're not telling us the whole story here.
So at what point did you do this
I put the hose in where the heater control was and a load of milky water came out at first, then it turned to clear water.
Was that before or the same times as...
the thermostat and housing was all full of solid corrosion, of which I have renewed, also new water pump and radiator,
Or is a latter intervention?
It doesn't quite tie in with the description of
engine of which when warm blows out 1.50 litres of water
You've possibly got a water system blocked with hard gunk, and a leaking head gasket.
I am going to take it to the garage to sort out the problems. Thanks, anyway.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

OK, well please post your results on here when you get the car back, as a lot of people will be interested to know the outcome.

Nothing worse than a story with no ending .... :wink:

Some topics around here are like reading a book and as you get to the end, some blighter has ripped out the last 2 pages.....
Basil the 1955 series II

LRV745
Minor Friendly

Post by LRV745 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm OK, well please post your results on here when you get the car back, as a lot of people will be interested to know the outcome.

Some topics around here are like reading a book and as you get to the end, some blighter has ripped out the last 2 pages.....
O/K Will Do.
And Thanks.
LRV745
Minor Friendly

Post by LRV745 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm OK, well please post your results on here when you get the car back, as a lot of people will be interested to know the outcome.

O/K Will Do.
And Thanks.
LRV745
Minor Friendly

Post by LRV745 »

LRV745 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am

O/K Will Do.
And Thanks.
After removing the head, it was found to have a crack in it. So a new head should solve it. Thanks for all your advice.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Make sure that the waterways in the block have been flushed through and are clear. The crack could have been caused by severe overheating followed by rapid cooling if cold water was poured in; so the root cuase of the problem may still exist.