Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moke-man
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rear wheel cylinder.

Post by moke-man »

Good day. Having purchased a kit to refurbish my rear wheel cylinder im at a loss as to where the thin washer goes. I know where the boot goes, so that's a start! I guess the large washer fits in the groove in the piston. And the thin washer goes.........? I asked ESM and they said they both go in the cylinder. HELP!
shoebone
Minor Fan

Re: Rear wheel cylinder.

Post by shoebone »

You may be trying to match OEM and Pattern style parts, I believe there are differences but I've actually never bothered rebuilding cylinders.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

A photo of the parts in question would not go amiss.

The parts you are referring to are seals not washers.

As shoebone has pointed out from your description you appear to have pattern parts either cylinders or repair parts - if you have original specification Minor rear wheel cylinders the parts should not be mixed and matched even if it is possible to do so. The brake cylinder should be replaced like for like.

The standard Morris Minor rear brake cylinder has a piston cup seal and not a seal fitted into a groove in the piston. Some pattern parts cylinders do have the seal fitted into a groove in the piston.

See BMC wksp manual Section: M..... Fig:- M.12 for a exploded view of original Minor rear brake cylinder.

moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

Many thanks for replying. May I ask that you look at picture and product description of RBK 108 on ESM site. That is what I have.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/brakes ... ly-p829513

The kit above is for 1098cc 3/4" dia cylinders.

A photo of the dismantled cylinder would still be appreciated.

moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

Once again thank you. It would appear that 1098 cylinders have different internal components from earlier models.
Surely there is a drawing that shows the assembly of these. They are vastly different to the drawing you previously referred to. Cheers Tony
moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

Once again thank you. It would appear that 1098 cylinders have different internal components from earlier models.
Surely there is a drawing that shows the assembly of these. They are vastly different to the drawing you previously referred to. Cheers Tony
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have been unable to find an exploded drawing of the later 1098cc rear wheel cylinder and that is why I asked for a photo of the disassembled cylinder so that a qualified guesstimate can be made.
I suspect that the non lip seal is the dust seal that fits under the piston cap.

moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

I appreciate your advice and interest. I didn't disassemble the cylinder and it is not currently in my possession. I will however attempt to photograph it shortly and your advice will be most welcome.