Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

installing 1275 Marina engine and MG1275 gearbox

Post by moggiegeek »

Hi, I'm intending to install a 1275 Marina engine and 1275 mg gearbox that I have sourced separately. I'm wondering what modifications will be required to install this setup. I imagine there must be a thread on this so I'll be grateful if you could direct me to it however a basic outline of what to look at will be very useful.
One: is it possible to use the Marina flywheel clutch arrangement with this setup or is an alternative required?
Two: is it possible to use standard moggy prop shaft?
Three: I'm assuming the mg box lines up with moggy crossmember and gearchange cover.
Four: is the mg clutch operating mechanism hydraulic? Can it be substituted for by the moggy setup?
Five: I understand the Marina engine needs a new front plate in order to link up with the moggy engine mountings. Is this simply a question bolting moggy from plate onto the Marina engine?
Finally I like a little advice about warming up the cam. The setup will be 12G940 head, HIF 38 carb, Maniflow inlet and exhaust manifolds and system. Would additional machining work be necessary to improve the cam?
Many thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: installing 1275 Marina engine and MG1275 gearbox

Post by philthehill »

Answer 1...……………..No the Marina flywheel/clutch assy is too large. Use a ESM modified flywheel & clutch assy - will need the centre first motion spigot bush to suit the modified flywheel. You will also need the ESM modified rear engine plate.

Answer 2...……………..Yes.

Answer 3...……………..Yes.

Answer 4...……………..Yes - but all it needs is a couple of small modification to the Minor intermediate clutch linkage.

Answer 5...……………..Yes. If retaing the Marina timing chain tensioner a couple of extra holes need to be drilled in the Minor front engine plate.

Camshaft...……………..Maching work no - Just buy a modified camshaft from a well known tuning company i.e. https://www.calverst.com/technical-info ... selection/

Make sure that the camshaft to oil pump drive is compatible.

For more information please ask.